Fuel consumption comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensien

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The KTM990 is legendary for its ability to deplete a tank of fuel in record time. Yet I have always found mine to be quite frugal, returning 15-16 kilometres per  litre when travelling two up at 130-140 with full luggage. I also have a five way comparison test with the KTM, a1 200GS, V-Strom,  Varadero and and Aprilia Caponord , and the KTM had the second best consumption after the BMW.

Some years ago my brother and I did a trip.With him on his KLR and at typical thumper speeds, I used less fuel. This past weekend we did as long trip to show our Swiss visitor the North West province. A friend also accompanied us on my well sorted DR650. I had my wife on the back and carried both his and our luggage in a three hard cases. At the end of the trip, the KTM had managed 21.3km/l and the DR650 23.7. Not much of a difference if one considers that the KTM was carrying twice the weight, had a lot more wind resistance from the luggage and I would often fall back and then race to catch up when I got bored from cruising at 110 all the time.