Fuel pressure regulator - K1200RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Ok, please don't give me the 'if you want a faster bike, get a faster bike' response. I'd very much like to acquire the the 1200LC, but money is of course the issue.

Who've heard of this mod, suggested by Steptoe on UKGSER, where you replace the stock fuel pressure regulator (3 bar), with the K1200RS part (3.5 bar).

I think the 1200GS, and HP2, have got a 3.5 bar FPR. Better throttle response, and possibly more power.

Some concerns might be increased fuel consumption, but not much (what I've read). Most of that would be due to more 'enthusiastic' riding.

This seems to be a quick and easy, low cost - if sourcing second hand, mod - which might be worth it. Steptoe replied to an email I sent him, he is knowledgeable on BMW bikes, and he still thinks this mod is worth it.

BTW, i've replaced the stock can and cat box. The titanium akro weighs almost nothing. I'm thinking of taking out the abs, and also fitting ultra bat. All those will possibly decrease the mass of the bike as much as 16kg plus. Our perception of performance is not only dependent on engine power, but overall mass: Newton's second law of motion. Getting rid of the ABS and decrease mass of battery will also lower center of gravity which might have handling benefits.

Did you know the 1150GS, fully fueled, weighs 267kg? The 247kg figure is not wet weight..that's pretty darn heavy if you ask me. Guys freak out to hear the new Crossover weighs 275kg fully fueled. The 1150GS Adv weighs the same fueled...

Would like to hear what you think, especially if there's a WD that have done this mod.

I think I'm going to do it soon.
Cheers