Gauteng 26th Oct Randburg to Harties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Mild Ride to harties I said  :-[

OK so the amount of rain we had last night should have made it clear to me Things might get a little tricky.

We all met up at The Total at around 7ish

All except for Shane who followed Pistol's directions from last week and ended up at the wrong Petrol station, Twice :biggrin:
He arrived at around 7:30 and we set off.

11 Set off from the Total
only 5 would make it to Harties!!!

randhart1.jpg

randhart2.jpg

randhart4.jpg

The Weather was spectacular for ridding it was clear and crisp with zero dust.

We took the winding route from Northgate to Chartwell where the sports started.

We got to the Jukskie river crossing which was flowing strongly after last nights rain. To make it more fun a truck had dumped a ton of river sand right at the start of the crossing.

It was Deep but I knew the bridge was smooth concrete underneath so made it through with a big splash No Problem!

I get my camera out and start taking pictures of the crossings when Shane falls off his bike behind me, The  normal problem of uneven ground and a heavy bike.
I turned a round just in time to see one of the WD lady's (Sorry in all the excitement I forgot to get your WD Nickname) on a shiny new 650GS have a slight wobble crossing the sand. In trying to correct her bike she had some target fixation and rode off the bridge into more than a meter of water. I got such a fright that I didn't even take any pictures I juts dropped my camera and jumped in after her. The GS disappeared under the water with only the rear pannier mount sticking out of the water.
After some serious man handling we managed to drag the poor GS out of the river and onto the road. Other than the water damage both rider and bike were unhurt.
They decided to tow the gs home and get the water logging sorted out there rather than battle next to the road. Please let us know how the trip home was and what  the gs is up to?

randhart5.jpg

randhart6.jpg

randhart7.jpg

Others did take pictures of the salvage job and I'm sure they will post them.

Next the rest of us took a nice single spoor along the river to the 3 "little" hills. These are very nasty very technical MX bike routes that the dumber of us just had to attempt. We all made it up the "easier" of the 3 except for Ganjora who went all out for the most hectic hill, he almost made it too ;D
The Clever Dogs just watched from the sidelines and shook their heads at us.

A small mud crossing later and we were ready for the next part of the route. Except the Cyclops's son's KLE had other ideas, It seemed that after the water crossing it was only running on 1 cylinder so some beer drinking and wrench wrenching took place and the problem was sorted. Comment of the day goes to Shane who after Cyclops says "We need a way to get the moisture out of the plug cap" asks if they needed some Q20, everyone brightens up only for Shane to say "I Don't have any I was just wondering if you needed some"  :biggrin: ;D :D

A funny sight was the "Too tall for my hair" guys using their gloves to protect their bald spots.

randhart14.jpg

randhart8.jpg

randhart9.jpg

randhart10.jpg

randhart13.jpg

After about 30 mins the problem was fixed ad we were on our way again.
EssBee had some other commitments and had to get home so he left us at this point.

The Next section was uneventful for the most part other than yours truly doing a rather spectacular side slide and somehow recovering before hitting the deck.
My "poephol" was munching seat there for a few moments.  :biggrin:

We then hit the tar towards harties where a few others had to get home.

By now we were 5 all was good until the KLE got a puncture. Some tire weld got us to Maxis at harties where we did a quick tube replacement and had some Brunch.

randhart16.jpg

randhart17.jpg

On the way back the KLE wasn't happy, somehow the rear brake pad had gotten damaged and was giving problems. Cyclops and Son decided to take the tar and take a slow ride home.

Usurper Li and I took the dirt towards Erasmia and had a nice river crossing over the wide Hennops river.

randhart18.jpg

randhart19.jpg

randhart20.jpg

Got home at around 2pm

Even with all the "Events" it was as usual a fantastic day out.

I hope I am not getting a reputation for planing hazardous rides ::)    at least it was an adventure!

Jules

Nice one Jules :thumleft:

(I hope I am not getting a reputation for planing hazardous rides    at least it was an adventure!)

Well at least you are getting rid of the BMW's i see  ::) One by one on every ride. :peepwall:

Yes it wa sstill wet today. Went out on a solo this morning with the Xr in search of the Mudmonster and was not dissapointed.

Some nice pics there Jules :thumleft:

And fun was had by all !!!!!!!

Some of the salavage pics !!!

Attachments

• 07r.jpg
    07r.jpg
    170.1 KB
I have no idea how to post more then one pic at a time.

Attachments

• 02r.jpg
    02r.jpg
    164.9 KB
Iv worked out how to attach multiple pics now .

Attachments

• 03r.jpg
    03r.jpg
    159.5 KB
  • 04r.jpg
    04r.jpg
    134.4 KB
  • 05r.jpg
    05r.jpg
    178.6 KB
  • 06r.jpg
    06r.jpg
    147.5 KB
I heard the Blue Bulls Supporters wer drowning thier sorrows on Sunday ???

But their bikes ::)  A bit Harsh :eek:

Looks like a great ride, did anyone record the route?

had my GPS with me
it's at hme now,
can post the track tonight.

Thanks to all for a good ride (although I did not even leave JHB technically), it was really good to meet you all! Pity about the circumstances for some. I was very impressed with the chivalry of some to rescue the proverbial damsel in distress...very admirable, guys, and to the WD lady, my heart goes out to you :'(, I hope you get your bike sorted out without to much ado. Please keep us posted, I'm sure all would like to know how that pans out.

Ganjora said:
had my GPS with me
it's at hme now,
can post the track tonight.
Could you please also email to me. Thanks

Hey great riding area that Jules :thumleft:

Ganjora, thanks for fetching emergency zamaleks when we ran out :thumleft:

Hi Jules and the rest of the helpers

Puddles (Zanda) is fine and I am just thankful that she did not end up under the bike, to God the praise.

Thnxs BIG TIME for all the help and everyone that jumped into the river to help.  The number of helmets still on showed that the commitment was there to help immediatedly.

We made it home with no hassles.  Think it was quite a funny sight with a bike on tow on the highway.

When we got home we stripped the bike down, dried everything we could, took the exhaust out and drained the river from it, took spark plugs out and cranked the motor, drained the engine oil.

Physical damage was to the crashbars - that is now a gonner, if the crashbars were not there we could have had some serious engine casing damage.  The motor sounds good at idle.

Left it to dry all day, will get new air filter, oil filter and oil today, rinse the motor and should be running by tonight.

But in the end, thanxs again!!

Regards

Thanks for the update Hoofseun.

Great to know the Bike and Zanda are both fine.

Looking forward to see you both out there again soon!  :thumleft:

Jules

Hoofseun and Zanda.....I'm very glad to hear that the Beemer is actually ok...very glad!

Hi All

Aaaaggghhhh ... my nickname is not "Puddles" for nothing  ::)  Noooo just kidding - never done something like that before & may I NEVER do something like that EVER again. 

It was one of those stupid moments where I just followed the guy in front of me, was too busy stressing about the heap of sand that I had to get over on entering the bridge/river crossing & the potential mud we were "still" going to encounter after all the rain from the day/night before.  I should have been more focused & checked out the situation first for the best approach.  Ja ... so we learn ... what NOT to do!

It was one of those "I can't belive this is happening/has just happened" moments.  All I could do was think "ag sh*t my new bike" !!! And of course having my head under the water in a helmet ... mmm not a nice feeling.  Was trying to get my head up above the water for air & get onto my feet .... ama ... glub glub!

I would just like to say a VERY VERY VERY Big Thank you to ALL who jumped in to help haul my bike out & those that managed to haul me out too.  Those pics are awesome !

To my special hubby (Hoofseun) - thanx love! Dunno what I'd do without you  :love2:  Sorry for giving you such a fright !

The towing trip back home was not nearly as stressful as I had thought it might be - having a proper tow strap ... works perfectly.  Recommed that you keep one on/in your bike ... you never know when it may come in handy !

Got home ... shivering from the cold.  When I took my boots off the water just gushed out ... at least I know they are waterproof.  As for the BMW jacket ... that little pocked that says "waterproof" ... mmm they actually mean "splashproof"  :-\
Had a lekker ostritch egg on my shin but other than that I was injury free ... thank the Lord for keeping me safe.

As hubby said we drained all the water out ... my golly didn't know my bike could hold so much.  After getting it all out & drying as much as possible.  It came the point of trying to start it.  My heart stood still and I closed my eyes.  At first it shot water onto the roof of our garage ... I was like "aaaaggghhh nooo" ... and then ... there it was ... that wonderful sound that I thought I wasn't going to hear again for a while.  Hubby you are a star ... knowing exactly what to do & what not to do.

Thanx to Jules & co for arranging the outride ... will see you again soon.

EssBee said:
Hoofseun and Zanda.....I'm very glad to hear that the Beemer is actually ok...very glad!

Phew EssBee .... not nearly as glad as I am  :hello2:

Latest posts