Gauteng 26th Oct Randburg to Harties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you all had a great ride. I'm glad that Puddles is OK, not nice to go swimming in a helmet!! EssBee do you think you could get through the river on your MTB???

I was chatting to one of those other guys there who were on Enduro/mx bikes....he almost drowned there some time back, but he said the water level was somewhat higher. Scary. I can only imagine what a k*k feeling it must be when submerged with a fullface lid on...plus a current wanting to pull you in deeper! :eek:

btw - that is the KLEIN-Jukskei.

ps Peat, no problem on a mtb...in fact a solo rider cruised across while we were standing there, didn't even look treachorous. Some others turned back after witnessing the stricken beemer being manhandled out of the drink, though.

Good to hear that Puddles and bike are all okay and got home alright. This was my ride with some of the dogs and certainly won't be my last. Both my son and I thoroughly enjoyed the day and really look forward to joining future rides. No problem with getting home, although the one rear bent bake pad heated things up a bit. No damage done and will replace with new ones this evening.

Thanks to Jules and Li for organising a truly adventureous ride and thanks to all for their humourous comments when we were trying to dry out the KLE - makes fixing things in the bush so much more fun.

:ricky:

That looked like a blast of a ride. Fantastic pics everyone.

Glad no one's hurt and the bikes ok.

Hows those bald heads this morning gents, wee bit of sun tan on the old napper hay  :imaposer:

Next time I put my peak cap in my pocket. Enough solar power.

Cyclops, your patience was also somewhat stretched....wow, then a flat on top of all that! I assume you're going to replace that supressor cap on the KLE!

Thanks for the report. The rides seem to get more eventfull each week. What's next?

My organised riding partner let me down, and it was too late to join you guys. Looks like you had a blast.
can we do this route again soon? maybe not after so much rain.

Frog said:
Thanks for the report. The rides seem to get more eventfull each week. What's next?

When I run out of BMW's I'll start getting rid of the KTM's  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks again to all who joined, as this route runs on some very quite public dirt roads with lots of horse riders and dog walkers I don't like to do it too often with biggish groups, I will give the locals a few weeks to recover and then do this section again. I will let you all know when.

I did find a rather mean looking steep mountain climb on the way back yesterday (Close to Erasmia), Anyone keen to go and explore it a little?

You'll have to try a lot harder to get rid of the orange Austrian thingy's!!!! :biggrin:

I'd be keen to try this climb you're talking about...but...forgive my ignorance...where on earth is Erasmia? ???

I noticed a rather disgruntled look on that one toppies face that we rode past....probably can't blame him...we really cruised past(although some of US have rather loud bikes even at 2000rpm :-[)...but I can only imagine how a bunch of quads bulleting (read normal) past would have spooked his dogs...it would hack me off.

EssBee said:
I'd be keen to try this climb you're talking about...but...forgive my ignorance...where on earth is Erasmia? ???

East from harties, about 20kms

Very interesting...never been in that area...ever.

Puddles said:
I would just like to say a VERY VERY VERY Big Thank you to ALL who jumped in to help haul my bike out & those that managed to haul me out too. 

I've seen this before: These Wild Dogs stick together.... a dog in need is a dog deed.

Jules said:
Frog said:

When I run out of BMW's I'll start getting rid of the KTM's   :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks again to all who joined, as this route runs on some very quite public dirt roads with lots of horse riders and dog walkers I don't like to do it too often with biggish groups, I will give the locals a few weeks to recover and then do this section again. I will let you all know when.

I did find a rather mean looking steep mountain climb on the way back yesterday (Close to Erasmia), Anyone keen to go and explore it a little?
When I run out of BMW's I'll start getting rid of the KTM's  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pleeeeeze call me i will gladly come help :peepwall:

If the hill is the one close to the old shooting range in Erasmia. I am in. nice rocky one as well.

If the hill is the one close to the old shooting range in Erasmia. I am in. nice rocky one as well.

Thats the one. I see all the fences are gone and there seems to be no buildings of any sort around there, I assume its vacant land and that no one will complain if we take a little look see.

Jules

Jules said:

Thats the one. I see all the fences are gone and there seems to be no buildings of any sort around there, I assume its vacant land and that no one will complain if we take a little look see.

Jules
On the way back from GM. I did a quick look and see up there :thumleft:

Sheesh Puddles, sorry about that drama! Glad you are ok. But now you have a great story to tell the grandchildren one day!

Well done to all the dawgs who helped out.

Jules boet, whaddaya doing to my friends?? ;D Will have to give you something challenging if you come out to visit us over here. ;)

BlueBull2007 said:
Sheesh Puddles, sorry about that drama! Glad you are ok. But now you have a great story to tell the grandchildren one day!

Well done to all the dawgs who helped out.

Jules boet, whaddaya doing to my friends?? ;D Will have to give you something challenging if you come out to visit us over here. ;)

With the photos of you're area with all the swollen rivers it may be even more interesting.

I am glad we towed the bike back and did not try and fix next to the road.  It gave better opportunity to properly clean and dry everything.  We flushed the motor four times with new oil just to make really sure before fitting a clean oil filter and the right oil.  Also used a clean oil filter for flushing, except used it four times. 

The air filter, after two days, was still wet.  Fitted a new one.

Motor sound smooth, will ride this whole week with it to make sure it gets enough heat to dry everything (lekka excuse as it commutes better than mine!!!!!) :imaposer:

Other than that, the two cell phones are still not working, the one garage remote is a gonner and the camara did not make it.  Will have to plan better around the water proofing, even if you plan not to fall into the drink you may have to quickly get in to help...

Puddles cannot wait to ride again and is just happy the bike is good.

Sharkie said:
Hoofseun said:
Will have to plan better around the water proofing

Zip-Lock Bags

:thumleft: :thumleft:
+ 100 % Also rode in the rain once and ended up at my front gate like a wet cat begging to enter the property :-[

Latest posts