Geological Ride - Highveld - <<Prov 23 Nov>>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
A proposal to test response.

DeepBass9 (Steve) is a Geologist, ( as well as a musician, farmer, father and hotelier ), and I have had a few geological discussions and PMs with him about the Geology of the areas we ride.

He has kindly offered his services to conduct a Geological Ride up here in the Highveld. His suggestion, and I think it is really great, it that we lay out a track based on the age of the formations and that we stop at a point in each sequence and he will give us a short overview of what we are looking at. I take that to mean, and my Geology is a seriously rusty, that we start with Basement Granites and Greenstones, up through Wits and Transvaal rocks to Bushveld Igneous Complex and then Karoo Series (rocks,  not area).

We will also print Geological maps and diagrams of the route. The idea is that we learn a bit about the age and types of rocks we ride through and how they formed.

Steve, you certainly have me as a student. Anyone else keen on the idea?

He suggested a day some time in Aug â?? and it will definitely be a full and fairly long day and will be a mix of tar and gravel.

Latest posts