Girl Mechanic - BMW Dakar - Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorust

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I've been having some issues with my Dakar and it's at that mileage now where certain things are just bound to go. (63 000km)

The radiator sprung a major leak about two months ago whilst on my way down to Cape Town from JHB. Leak happened just before Colesburg (about 40km out) and the temperature gauge came on. I stopped to let it cool down and just slowly continued to Colesburg. Stopping every time the light came on and waiting for the bike to cool down, then continuing again until the light came on etc.

Made it to Colesberg where Nimmo tried to help me. We flushed the system and finally resorted to trying the curry powder approach. (Though this apparently only really works with minor leaks)
Next day bike was loaded onto a bakkie and driven to George.

I then got a new radiator from a guy in Cape Town who VERY kindly just offered it to me at no cost.

I then installed the new radiator, thinking that everything should be okay now. Though far from it.
Took a ride to town and everything was fine…until I stop. Then the temperature light comes on again and coolant spews out from the reservoir cap.

Back to the drawing board - I take the radiator out again to check the thermostat. Test the thermostat and it works fine and does what it's supposed to do.
Check the fan and the fan comes and works perfectly.
Check the water pump - seems fine. (Only checked the impeller though)

So now all that's left is either it could be the radiator cap or…head gasket?

I then start taking the bike apart to get to the head gasket. Sommer check valve clearances as well whilst I'm at it. (I must just mention at this point that I'm no mechanical whizz…but have a bit of common sense and a manual and really enjoy tinkering - learning a great deal…which I figure might come in handy someday).
I then realize how big a job it's going to be to replace the head gasket and decide to rather rule out the smaller possible causes before tackling the head gasket. Because I'm nervous about being at the point where I could potentially do more damage than good.

I borrow another radiator cap from a friend and decide I'll try that today.

But then…as I'm putting everything back together again, I for some reason decide to use the torquing wrench on the tappet cover bolts…and I BREAK one! *&^$%#@!#$%$#$
So now I'm well and truly screwed as the bottom end is stuck at the bottom of the shaft!!! &*&*&%%^#$@#@!$%#

Now what? Drill it out?
Most people would probably say to take it to a professional I guess? But I can't afford it. I kinda need to sort this out myself and soon as well.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_4390.jpg