Got Air Conditioning ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMachine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Phoenix, Arizona, USA (Originally Kempton Park)
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I just had to ride my bike to work yesterday, the summer has just been too long and even though we had a heat watch today I decided to head in this AM. Was about 82F/28C when I left the house and 95F/35C when pulled into the office parking, I could feel some perspiration already.

I saw these cooling vests at Cycle Gear a few weeks ago and then figured that summer was almost over and that I would get one next season. This morning I decided I would pick one up on my way home.

Saddling up just after 5 PM. 113F/46C in the shade.

Once on the freeway the temp went as high as 117.2F/47.3C  :blob8:

Arriving at Cycle Gear

Portable AC ! On sale for $29.99

After paying I went to the mens room to give it a quick soak. They recommend a 1-3 minute soak, but who has time  :crybaby2:

As I pulled out, I stopped briefly to pull my helmet off and insert my earplugs. I shot this quick one of the temp.
Yeah baby, now we are cooking. It actually went over 120F/49C  )hot but then again my temp sensor under the front fairing was pointing into the sun. I was stopped for less then a minute....

I will try it out again tomorrow after a good soak, but here are my impressions.

1. After I put it on over my shirt, my shirt felt like it got wet, no surprises here but no water dripping all over the place. I wore my Phoenix 4.0 air jacket over it.
2. Fits real nice with a low cut back to match riding position. It has expandable side panels made of spandex, so it fits real snug and hugs the torso.
3. The inner layer is moisture resistant to keep your clothing dry (according to the product tag) but I would not wear this over my Sunday best as it will get wet and wrinkled.
4. Adds an extra low impact layer of protection.
5. As soon as I got moving it started cooling my torso immediately.
6. My arms and legs literally felt like they were on fire in the heat. It was like driving in a blast furnace, the warm air stinging my lungs and burning my eyes. If I could see behind me, I am sure there was a vapor trail  :ImaPoser:
7. I remained very comfortable though for the most part. A full upper body suite like this will actually be even better. I should have gotten one of those bandanna things that you wrap around your neck for extra cooling

It took me +/-20 minutes to get home from the time I donned the vest. By the time I got home and took it off, my torso was cold to the touch.

The front of the vest had dried quite a bit and the front of my shirt was probably 90% dry. The back of my shirt was a little damp, but even without this vest, your crotch and shirt is usually soaked from perspiration after riding in this type of heat anyway.

I spoke to one of the reps that uses one of these cooling vests and on long road trips he says he usually rehydrates it every 200 mile or so. He said he has been living and riding in Arizona for about 10 years and just bough a vest this year. He told me that he was sorry now that he had not invested in one earlier. That made my mind up for me that I needed one.

I am not sure if these are available in SA, but with the drier air you boys have down there, this would be a winner.

https://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=TEI_6529-S_G
Specs
Features and Benefits

* Polymer-imbued fabric uniformly distributes water for balanced, efficient cooling
    * Quickly absorbs water in just 1-3 minutes for instant temperature reduction
    * Moisture-resistant inner layer keeps clothing dry
    * Low profile styling layers well beneath most protective apparel
    * Differential cut with a higher waist and longer back provides effective coverage in the riding position
    * Spandex side panels for a great, non-restrictive fit
    * Durable 100% nylon shell
    * Fully zippered front opening