• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Growler V1.0 - 90lt Soft Luggage Rackless System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caconcepts

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So recently I acquired a 2018 Rallye and have since got rid of my panniers. I have decided to travel lighter and never take my top box with on rough rides as I seem to break that on a regular basis.

So I started looking for soft luggage solutions and was astounded at the costs involved. Being in the canvas fabrication business I decided to make my own using some off the shelf items I already had in stock.

I already had a BMW duffel, which I acquired from a member on the forum, and I had two waterproof 30lt bags. I also have a 60lt drybag but that's more useful for bodies.

So below is the one I did for myself but am happy to make for anybody else. I'm thinking a collaboration between those that have used soft luggage extensively, that know the pitfalls, and those that feel they could benefit from such a system but with customization in mind.

If you are a weekend camper, over-lander, fisherman or a psychopath, you have different needs to me and this can be customized to suite your needs. If 15lt side-bags make more sense to you, it can be done. If 40lt side-bags are what you have and feel comfortable, it can be done. If you would like "Tripod" embroided on the side of the bags, it can be done. The basic design lends itself to it, within reason.......

This particular design will fit on most bikes and I will be trashing the k@k out of it this weekend to see if I can break it.

As you can see from the photos, the bottom is a double layer PVC/ 280gsm Ripstop.

Lots of clip and cam buckles to attach but if you need more, add at will. The whole system weights only about 2.5kg empty.

The other thing I like is that the carrier stays behind and you remove what you need without initiating a wrestling match with your luggage.

It is based on another system found in the western world and costs in excess of R11k

I think we can do what you see below (not including the waterproof bags) for less than R1400

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 442
  • 4.jpeg