Head off currently. CB550 project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Right.  I have some motivation to do some work on this old bike so I need to make hay while I can.

I kinda inherited a '77 CB550 from my Wife's step grandfather.  The old guy got a lot of things sorted on the bike but in the end he couldnt quite keep it up. Did silly things like sanded the spokes to get rid of corrosion, and then just left them.  So They are now completely corroded.  Lots of things like that.

When I got it:
ACFA7ACA-1A6C-486F-9552-BA00CE758F5B_zpshwxbek4s.jpg~original

It ran but only on 2 cylinders (The old man had it running fine on 4 before that though)  I thought it was the carbs so I cleaned them out a couple times but couldnt get it running right.  Discovered the tank was massively rusted on the inside and actually had holes in the bottom.  Cut out the dodgy section and welded in a patch and had the inside coated. All good.

Then I got a bee in my bonnet and stripped the thing completely.  It is now in boxes in my garage.  I dug the frame and wheels out this week:
mVdOGFh.jpg

vAFLHX9.jpg

I would like to do a sort of brat seat and get it running right.  Not interested in getting it to make anymore power than stock, and would rather just keep the stock airbox etc and not do any pods etc. 
The last time I messed with it before I stripped, the kick starter would not turn.....It hadn't run for a while before that so I doubt it's seized.  Do I open the motor and check? 
Do I try get it back together and then see what works or not?  I'd replace things like steering bearings and bolts etc along the way. Bars, cables, grips as well. All easy.

Is there someone recommended in JHB I could take the motor and carbs to to have a look at?  I HATE fiddling with carbs, but I feel like I could replace bits in them....Maybe just buy a rebuild kit?
I just have no idea what the state of the motor is.
Considering I'm leaving it mostly stock, would it be a waste to buy an entire new wiring harness? I see these are available.

Where do I start brothers?