Helicoil alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
During the re-assembly of my tappet cover on my BMW 1150 GSA, I stripped the thread on one of the 4 holes that holds this tappet cover on, after much bad language I decide I will have to fit a helicoil, so off I go to Cytech in search of help, advise and the nuch needed equipment. At Cytech Ray shows me a wonderful new gadget, an insert that is simply screwed into the hole after it has been drilled out to the required size, in this case 9mm, it taps it's own thread and once it is all the way in, you simply remove the cap screw used to turn it in.
Insert.jpg

BRILLIANT! All you need to do is CAREFULLY drill the hole out, making extra sure you drill straight, the insert went in like a charm. I was a bit nervous because there was not much 'meat' left for the insert to go into, but it went in without a proble.
The end result.
after.jpg

No special tools are required, and one could even take a few of these inserts on a trip in case of emergency, all you would need to find is a drill machine with a suitable sized drill bit.
And no, I am not 'mechanicaly challenged', I did not even feel the bolt get 'tight' before it started stripping, maybe a legacy from the last 'dealership' service. :lol: :lol: