Hello All

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANEB

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi Everyone have been lurking here for about a year, I grew up in Mapumulo as kid and lived in Pmb for a number of years I now live in Townsville in Australia and work for the local Yamaha dealer am looking at getting myself a 660 Tenere' in the near future. I was prompted to post after I saw Gunda Gunda's recent ride report on the Umvoti valley as I grew up there and rode all over that area as a youngster, at one stage we had 17 bikes as a family and we started exploring the area in the very early 70's at first on a Honda CT90 and later on a variety of TS's, DT's,Xl's, Ty's, TL's,a KT some XR's,IT's, KDX's, XT's, WR's etc. It was a great place to grow up and I've been wondering how long it would take for some WD's to find the area, my Dad still lives in the area and won't move from there. We rode all around the area and all we left were tyre tracks and maybe blood and skin. Good rules to live by in these types of area's is DO NOT RIDE THOUGH FIELDS, DON'T RIDE THROUGH KRAALS UNLESS YOU REALLY, REALLY HAVE TO AND IF SO DO SO WITH RESPECT! NO DONUTS WHEELIES ETC. BE CAREFULL AROUND KIDS AND PEOPLE CARRYING WATER SOME OF THE WOMEN HAVE HAD TO CARRY THAT WATER PRETTY FAR!  If most people keep these things in mind you will usually be welcome back, in the past there have been problems in the Lilani area with riders being stupid and ruining it for others. I will try and post some pics of riding in the Umvoti valley area in the 70's. Regards, Shane.