Help: son wants scrambler, dad knows nothing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So, my eldest (15) has decided he wants to join the ranks of the scrambler gang because a few of his tjommies have already jumped on the bandwagon. In theory, I’m all for it—bonding time, fresh air, the wind in his helmeted hair, etc. But here’s the catch: I know about as much about bikes as my wife knows about the offside rule in rugby. So, I’m hoping you all can help educate me.

He’s a big, athletic laaitie, standing at 1.8m and weighing in at 95kg, so I reckon he can handle quite a bit. But, being a responsible (read: paranoid) father, I’ve also seen enough of those Fail Army videos to know how quickly a lekker tjoppie motor can throw you off the seat and into next week.

What should I be looking for when buying a second-hand scrambler? Importantly, what size makes sense? He’s had some experience on his younger brother’s BigBoy pit bike, but I don’t want him biting off more than he can chew. I’m thinking a CRF300L Rally could be a solid option , since it’s versatile and should last him (and me) a while—but I also don’t want him to f&$k it up within a week.

Any advice for a dad trying to keep his son on two wheels and off his back?