Project X - The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantal Burger

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Time: 02:25 am

Date: August 16, 2023.

I remember waking up that morning, looking for Hardy who was not where he is supposed to be. As my eyes started to focus, I saw him sitting in front of his laptop, with Diesel lying next to him on the couch.

I know that look. I have seen it before. The last time I have seen him looking like that, was way back in 2016 when he was planning the Honda Quest.

What are you doing? Can’t it wait? silence. Again – what are you doing? Again, silence. I must admit that I by now became a little irritated with his blatant disregard for my sincere effort to engage in civil conversation. :rolleyes:

I got up, switched the lights on and then realized that he was listening to someone on his earphones on a Teams meeting.

I recognized Duncan's face on the laptop screen. Duncan is a good friend of Hardy who used to live on Hardy’s grandfather’s sport ranch in Scotland. Hardy and Duncan has travelled to many places together in the past and they are like brothers.

I know from experience that if the two of them chat, strange things tend to happen.

I went to the kitchen to make coffee and just as I returned with what is probably his favorite beverage, he ended the call. Let’s pause this story here for a while. :coffee:

If I had a rand for every phone call, I have had at the office between 2021 and today, from people who wanted to know when the next Quest is happening, I would have been a very rich woman.

The Honda Quest was great, and it changed the lives of many of the riders who participated. It also changed the way many of the crew members saw the riders. Yes – It truly was a remarkable event. ♥️

I do however remember seeing that look in his eyes and realizing that this was the last Quest, as we drove back from Kaleo after the 2021 award ceremony. I hated every moment of the drive home.

Back to August 2023.

Him: “Duncan says howzit, thanks for the coffee, why are you up?”

I realized at exactly this point that if I was going to stand any chance of quenching my curiosity this early in the morning, I had to play it smart. 🐽

Me: Is he coming to visit or is it a business thing I asked.

Him: Not sure (I hate it when he plays dumb :unsure:)

Me: When is he coming?

Him: Soon.

Me: Something wrong on the farm?

Him: Not that I know of.

Him: “Chantal – I am thinking of doing an event again – something similar to what we did, but very different and much more complex” o_O:eek:😳

It did not escape me that he did not mention the word Quest when he explained this to me.

Me: Jeez was that so difficult? How long have you been planning this?

Him: “For a while – I have been chatting to Duncan about it because I need it to grow into something riders from other countries would be interested in”

Me: Any specific brand?

Him “No! – I don’t want any brand involved – We need to have the freedom to make it extremely tough without having to worry about any brand’s PR rules or marketing requirements.”

I will continue my story of how Project X came about tomorrow...