HID lights save the day..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Pete

Teach Peace
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Or should i say the night!
We went on a small trippie today to Swellendam and taking in all the small towns along the way. It seemed like out intrepid ride planner was going to take every dirt road out there...or close to it!
We did a few dirt roads in the gloomy darkness and hit Villiersdorp for a quick break. Then on to CT on unfamiliar tar backroads.
The HID kit came into its own :thumleft: I avoid riding at night but we had no choice at all....it just gave me/us so much confidence! The problem is that you don't want to switch it off for oncoming traffic...i only have the high beam so when clicking low its like i'm trying to light a candle by comparison!
The HID kit is the second best upgrade i have done...its awesome! ;D
We had three KTM990s & one sixfordy today....and covered 807kms....i'm shattered... :)

Attachments

• Swellendam Outride 003.jpg
    Swellendam Outride 003.jpg
    170.8 KB
  • Swellendam Outride 009.jpg
    Swellendam Outride 009.jpg
    198.5 KB
  • Swellendam Outride 016.jpg
    Swellendam Outride 016.jpg
    193.1 KB
  • Swellendam Outride 014.jpg
    Swellendam Outride 014.jpg
    187.3 KB
Wow that's good distance for one day!  :thumleft:

isiTututu said:
Holy Mackerooni Pete - If you're shattered after that distance on the 990, spare a thought for 1-KAT! Although judging by the photos, she's either still quite perky or she's lost it altogether.
She's an Yster i tell you! We were all getting tired anyway...long day on the road!

Sounds and looks like an awesome ride!

Where do you get HID's in CT, and how much?

Robski...i think i paid about just over 1k for the bright.
The best upgrade was the .59 950SE front springs fitted by MP Suspension.

I was chatting today to a guy who met the 990 designer who admitted the front being a bit soft but it was for the Europeans who don't do much offroad. The diifference is vast :thumleft:

Robski said:
oh, and what was your best upgrade?

I would guess the fork springs.

BTW Pete if you had to choose 1, the low beam should have been yr 1st choice. 1st prize is both. I find a lot of cars flashing me if I ride on high beam with the amber lens cover off, but when I leave the cover on visibility is still good enough but it doesn't seem to blind oncommers.

Pistonpete said:
Robski...i think i paid about just over 1k for the bright.
The best upgrade was the .59 950SE front springs fitted by MP Suspension.

I was chatting today to a guy who met the 990 designer who admitted the front being a bit soft but it was for the Europeans who don't do much offroad. The diifference is vast :thumleft:

Thanks PistonPete, will give them a call tomorrow.

I&horse said:
Robski said:

BTW Pete if you had to choose 1, the low beam should have been yr 1st choice. 1st prize is both. I find a lot of cars flashing me if I ride on high beam with the amber lens cover off, but when I leave the cover on visibility is still good enough but it doesn't seem to blind oncommers.
Yeah i know...must get the low beam as well buts its expensive dude! When you taking the RT100...can i help?

Have to agree, Mrs N broke the new HID on the 690 yesterday and the DRZ's HID provided more than enough light for us to rush into Oasis in the dark.

R350 HID by the by

isiTututu said:
Holy Mackerooni Pete - If you're shattered after that distance on the 990, spare a thought for 1-KAT! Although judging by the photos, she's either still quite perky or she's lost it altogether.

isitut, anythings possible in the mind :biggrin:

1 KAT said:
isiTututu said:

isitut, anythings possible in the mind :biggrin:

:imaposer:

Pistonpete said:
I&horse said:
Robski said:

Yeah i know...must get the low beam as well buts its expensive dude! When you taking the RT100...can i help?

There's a place at Ottery Hyper that sells them for cheap. China Town or something.

BTW, we're leaving on Friday for Nam, so I'll get the RT when we come back. And I ceized my plastic's engine :mad: so no riding until we get back. :'(

The low beam is an H7 :thumleft:

https://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/adventure/HID/hid_conv.html

N[]vA said:
China town is where I got mine from too

Would like to stop by on my way home, what store at China town? I know where it is but never went inside yet.

Guessing the high beam is a H3 then..

And where is China Town?