High visibility vest ... some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colyn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
The issue of high visibility vests has been debated a few times and lots of things have been said.

Truth is that there are good cases in favour of higher visibility.

As many of you may know, I have an association with WOEMA the TV show and we have discussed the vest issue amongst ourselves. What is currently being offered to bikers is not acceptable for me for a variety of reasons and I started on a mission to find out if something could be made that would answer more of my reservations about the available offerings.

During the past few weeks I have spoken to many people about this and here are some of the responses ...

1. "Sorry ... I will not wear one of those because in my work I have to wear one everyday and when on my bike I do not want to look like a construction worker."

2. "Nee ek sal nie dai ding dra nie want ek is a road cone nie."

3. "I don't want to wear that thing because it looks ugly."

4. "Why would I spend all the money I have spent on a decent looking jacket and then wrap it in a cheap piece of nylon."

These are some of more general responses I got and then there were the more "scientific" replies like this one ...

"When I ride on my bike with this thing on, the fairing will block my stomach and chest with only my shoulders showing ... from the back my topbox will hide my back with only my shoulders showing ... so why wrap my whole upperbody in dayglo orange ?"

There were also the more practical remarks like this ....

"If I do opt to wear one of these I want it to have some sensible pockets because the orange ones covers my jacket pockets and that is a problem when I have to stop and pay toll."

I took all of these things and a few more into account and sat down with a clothes designer. Well two proto types later and we have something that I will definitely wear.

Now for the important part for me and the reason for my post ...

What are your pet hates on the issue of high visibility vests ?

Thank you.