Hogsback By gravel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanceSA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 390 Adventure
What an awesome ride! we managed to muster 9 riders, 2 of whom were newbies, Irish's son Travis and Fargo. Both rode fantasticly well, no complaining and great determination and nary a fall!
The route was almost all gravel with the scenic Kubusi Valley and all the wild life thrown in for good measure. Gubu dam and Sandile dam along the way.
I don't have many photos as my battery was going flat but hopefully the other guys will post pics and comments.
First photo: at the start - meeting at Farma-rama
2: Sandile Dam
3: New 150 Heidi at lunch stop in Hogsback
4: Mike on the way back.

Attachments

• P7190298.JPG
    P7190298.JPG
    83.7 KB
  • P7190302.JPG
    P7190302.JPG
    68.4 KB
  • P7190303.JPG
    P7190303.JPG
    102.7 KB
  • P7190304.JPG
    P7190304.JPG
    79.2 KB
A very nice ride, scenic, not too far, a good bunch of people. Hogsback is a special place, I never tire of going there. We live in Paradise, here in East London, I paddled a surf ski race yesterday in an amazing, clean beautiful sea, had a great party at the Border Canoe Club last night, then today, had a wonderful ride to Hogsback. What a small town....... 3 of us on today's ride were at last night's party  ;D

Thanks to Lance for organising the ride.

Attachments

• P1030261.JPG
    P1030261.JPG
    54 KB
Thanks

There must be some amazing riding around your area. Everytime I head back to EL from Grmstwn, as I go down the hill from the big radio mast, I look at the roads, or are they firebreaks? On the game farms before the Fish River bridge. Stopped one day to talk to the owner of one of the Game Farms, told me he was not interested in having South Africans on his farm.......There must be other people who have places that we can ride on. The view from Dom's place is a good example. 

Thanks to all the guys who were on this ride,I had no idea what Iwas letting myself in for.For a newby like myself,fantastic experience and tremendous support from all.You okes rock, cant wait for the next ride. ;D

Off-Road-Adventures said:
Thanks

There must be some amazing riding around your area. Everytime I head back to EL from Grmstwn, as I go down the hill from the big radio mast, I look at the roads, or are they firebreaks? On the game farms before the Fish River bridge. Stopped one day to talk to the owner of one of the Game Farms, told me he was not interested in having South Africans on his farm.......There must be other people who have places that we can ride on. The view from Dom's place is a good example. 

We do indeed have some brilliant stuff available!
There are a couple of the farms in the area that i am very good mates with the managers and have pretty much an open ended invitation to ride there whenever they are not hunting etc. They are really awesome and all bigger than 5000 hectares!
Give me a shout and we will put something together

Hi Slumdogs and others.
Been a hectic morning so far and only got to the computer now. I see that some of the riders have posted already. Thanks Lance and all for an awesome ride. Irish junior is sooo keen to buy his own bike now. Maybe I should help him a bit. Thanks all for comeraderie and good riding etiquette. We really are in a good spot on the planet. Good people, good, reliable bikes, awesome weather and scenery make for a very happy camper. Maybe the Katberg ride should be a 2 day affair with a sleepover at the backpackers in Hogsback?

Great idea, I was checking the Hogsback sites out last night, with the same idea as you have mentioned here. I would love to do that 4x4 trail, it looks awesome, I think the sign said it was 52km long, does anyone know it?

Attachments

• Hogsback.gif
    Hogsback.gif
    2.7 KB
IRISH said:
Maybe the Katberg ride should be a 2 day affair with a sleepover at the backpackers in Hogsback?

I was also thinking of this as an option. I would have the wife and kids come up to Hogsback by car and then everyones happy. Will plan this soon.

Nice RR! like the heidi on the back there! are you riding with one on the front too?

def gonna fit some of those!

Shredder said:
Nice RR! like the heidi on the back there! are you riding with one on the front too?

def gonna fit some of those!

No. I've got an old tkc on the front. Not sure wheither to replace it with another tkc or the Haidi. The 150 on the back is one of the test tires. It did 370 km yesterday with the last 100 km fast tar. It hooked up really well. There are no signs of any abnormal wear or knobs breaking off. I think it needs to be run in a bit more (total milage just over 500 km now) but so far I am very happy with it. Some how the engine seems to spin up quicker. Wheither this is just my imagination or not I can't tell but the bike seems more responsive.

awesom stuff lance!

i was just there to purchase mine..i was told that they have had a bad batch(150) and that the knobs were braking off, you were aware of this right? so i now have 2 wait till mid august 2 get it, after all the tests have been done, awesome lookin tyre nonetheless!

Shredder said:
awesom stuff lance!

i was just there to purchase mine..i was told that they have had a bad batch(150) and that the knobs were braking off, you were aware of this right? so i now have 2 wait till mid august 2 get it, after all the tests have been done, awesome lookin tyre nonetheless!

;D  I'm one of the 'tests'. So far so good. Nothing but praise.