Home built luggage racks and tool tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgofishing

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
A while back I built some luggage racks from flat ally bar to keep my soft panniers away from the exhaust and panels on my DRZ. These workred, but after a 3 day trip, I found that the continous shaking and bouncing on dirt, had made the racks sag. So I decided to build another set using the same design, but using rectangular section tubing this time. I had a section of the tubing rolled to follow the curve of the side panels, then cut all the pieces to length and took them off to a welder to put the whole lot together. Man, can this guy weld! Normally, I grind the welds down, but after seeing these, I decided to leave them as is! I just gave the tubing a light sanding and then clear-coated it.

Tubing R80
Rolling R60
Welding R200

P1010387_tn.jpg

P1010384_tn.jpg

P1010385_tn.jpg

There is no underseat storage space on the DRZ and the tank bag is really small, so carrying things like Pratleys steel, duct tape, Q bond, extra tools etc, is a bit of a problem. So I got a piece of of 76mm stainless tubing, cut it to length, made some brackets out of ally, and used some small domed allen head bolts to mount the 2 together. Then went to Eisbein's uncle and asked him to make 2 end caps from some "plastic" I had lying around. I would have done this myself, but my chuck couldn't accomodate it.
The end towards the front of the bike is glued in with waterproof sealant. He made up the removable end with a little groove to fit an O ring - all beautifully done.

Tube R120 for 1m
End caps R0
Turning R100

P1010383_tn.jpg

P1010382_tn.jpg

P1010380_tn.jpg

On another post, Sidetrack mentioned some fuel tank bags he had on his bike. I tracked these down and ordered them - they're made by Tusk and cost R260. As I said, my tank bag is really small and these give me space for carrying a spare tube, food, water and other bits and pieces when going on day rides and there's also a pocket for maps. They are great! They fit over the neck of the fuel tank and attach with hd velcro strips attached to the radiator side panels. I've fitted them far enough forwards so that they do not interfere with my knees.

P1010391_tn.jpg

P1010388_tn.jpg

Now I'm ready for the EC bash :biggrin: