How to license and register an "off road" bike for "road" use on eNatis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I will let you all in on a little secret I discovered last year when preparing 4 X 525s for the Amageza

1 of the bikes was fully licensed and registered for "road" use while the other 3 were "off road" only so I thought if 1 was legit then there must be a way to get the others legit.

"Road" status means that the bike will be issued with a license disc which means you are able to legally ride the bike on a public road - this is lekker because you can then ride to the ride instead of loading on bakkie or trailer all the time or riding the bike illegally on the road and always looking over your shoulder every time you pass a spietkop

"Off Road" status means that the bike will be registered on the eNatis system but will not be issued with a license disc and is thus not allowed to be ridden legally on a public road and strictly speaking should be used on private land only. The off road status exists for all those plaas bikes out there and for vehicle finance - the banks will only grant finance against a vehicle that is registered on eNatis and has a VIN - this is their security in case they ever have to repo the vehicle if you dont pay.

I found out that the only thing standing between "off road" and "road" status is a roadworthy certificate ... the eNatis system is national so this should work anywhere in RSA.

Take the bike to your nearest "friendly" roadworthy centre and get it through the roadworthy test, then take your reg certificate and attached completed RLV form (together with your ID and proof of address) to your nearest Motor Vehicle registrations office and re-register the bike into your name (if it is already in your name then complete the second attached ALV form) and they will issue you with a registration number and license disc

I am used car dealer - I do this admin a couple of times a week - I thought it would be a moerse complicated affair and asked KTM SA for homologation papers etc - they had no clue what I was talking about, then I chatted to a supervisor at local MVR office who let slip about the roadworthy certificate and as say the rest is history

Attachments

• Application for registration and licencing of motor vehicle (Form RLV).pdf
    87 KB · Views: 29
  • Application for licencing of motor vehicle (Form ALV) (1).pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 24