How to massacre 3 F800GS's through Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya... and then...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxThePanda

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Jim is riding down from Cairo to Cape Town with two mates at the moment. Read their entertaining blog here: https://cairotocapetownc2c.blogspot.com/

I think they're planning to arrive in CT early August or so. He's a member here, I think, but no idea what his user name is.

Seems the made it back despite being on lewensgevaarlike, multi recall motorcycles!!  :biggrin:

Spotted in waterfront today  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Copy of Nokia (42).jpg
    Copy of Nokia (42).jpg
    41.3 KB
  • Copy of Nokia (43).jpg
    Copy of Nokia (43).jpg
    39.5 KB
  • Copy of Nokia (44).jpg
    Copy of Nokia (44).jpg
    28.9 KB
Did they have the standard front suspension?

Trailrider said:
Did they have the standard front suspension?

Or rear? Those bikes look heavily loaded, would be good to hear the mods they did.

As I understand most people complain about the GS800 front shocks as opposed to the rear of the 1200. I dont have a 800 and cannot give a qualified opinion, but having again heard new complaints about it I thought to ask the question.

I have no mechanical knowledge or background, but the basic way it was explained to me (or the way I understood) was that the problem presents itself on corrugated road. Possibly because of pressure build-up rendering the shock "too hard" because the pressure doesn't equalize quickly enough or something like that.

I have no idea really, hence the questions.

The bikes look heavier packed than they actually were... pretty much just side panniers and a bag over the top. They had 2 x 5l jerries for fuel through Sudan/Ethiopia. No shock or other problems - 21 punctures in total - although one bike had 12 and the other only 2! A couple of overheating issues on long slow descents but seemingly eased by bleeding the cooling systems. Couple of problems with dirt in the fuel systems, sorted by blasting out the fuel filters with a compressor.

The bikes were pretty new and didn't have any modifications on the suspension - I think just tall screens. They changed the oil in Nairobi... They did about 13,000km in total - it was quite a quick trip because of work commitments... 8 weeks Cairo-Cape Town.

MaxThePanda said:
The bikes look heavier packed than they actually were... pretty much just side panniers and a bag over the top. They had 2 x 5l jerries for fuel through Sudan/Ethiopia. No shock or other problems - 21 punctures in total - although one bike had 12 and the other only 2! A couple of overheating issues on long slow descents but seemingly eased by bleeding the cooling systems. Couple of problems with dirt in the fuel systems, sorted by blasting out the fuel filters with a compressor.

The bikes were pretty new and didn't have any modifications on the suspension - I think just tall screens. They changed the oil in Nairobi... They did about 13,000km in total - it was quite a quick trip because of work commitments... 8 weeks Cairo-Cape Town.

awesome!!!

The youngsters with their Dad (3 boyz on Bikes) also had over heating problems on the one bike.Don't know wether any of the others in the party had probs but it therefore seems the 800's will need some mods to the cooling systems.I hope BMW AG is taking note.Does anyone know of other probs.
We remember the early 950 Katooms also had a hic or two in the begining and now a great bike.So I guess the early 800's will also need shaking down.By 2010 it will be all sorted for the cross africa trips. 

Wow the trip looks awesome; but 21 punctures, phew! Bet they wished it was tubeless.

Well done guys - respect
Over and above the dangerous bikes that were used I see a unreliable ZUMO  was also used - Did it work all the way?

Actually was 3 guys and one had to fly back for scheduled work from Dar so one of the sons flew in and rode the rest of the way. There were 2 GPS - not sure if both were Zumos but the Zumo did break and go flunky for a while after being dropped. Partially started working again.