How well can that single sided swing-arm handle gravel/dirt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I've been thinking. Seems the 1150 GS (and 1200 for that matter) is rumoured to see more tar than other road surface in their lifetimes on average..at least that's what the talk is out there. I didn't think therefore that my GS would be taken out on the dirt and gravel highways that often in the future but then I thought ...the GSA has got the same single sided swing arm..

I first heard of dogs complaining about the single sided swing-arm when the new triumph was advertised. Then I remembered that the pivot bearing, main wheel bearing...some bearing on the back wheel that you check by putting the pig on centre stand and then getting the back wheel of the ground...then checking for play by moving the tire forwards and backwards....

That's a supposed weakness of these bikes and riding on gravel/dirt can over time cause this bearing or something to fail? or some seal to leak oil? Sorry, clearly not an expert here.

The  point...the 1150 GSA pictures are typically taken on some gravel or dirt road...if these bikes are so popular on these kinds of roads, then why can I take my pig out there as well? Or should I then budget for some part that has to be replaced? What does riding on gravel and dirt do to these bikes - in a negative way?

Hope the point of the thread is clear, if not pls tell