HP2 Steel Sidestand Bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berm_Rooster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hi Guys

I get a lot of requests for sidestand brackets. Me and friend with an engineering shop made them a couple of years ago as a project. We made 3 and then 11 if I recall correctly. My situation has changed somewhat as I work out of the country now and dont quite have the time to make another batch.

So in an effort to allow someone else to take the project further, I thought it good to make a quick thread to try and show what we did. Unfortunately we never made any drawings. We made the first one to fit, built some jigs to mill the different parts and welded everything together in the end.

Standbracket.jpg

Stand.jpg

Pictures i used from the internet during the planning stage.

DDE63008.jpg

A pic during fabrication of the first batch. They had grease nipples.

DDE63009.jpg

Mock-up on the bike.

index.php

Moving on a couple of months, this is somewhere during the second batch.

index.php

Milling out some material.

index.php

index.php

Second batch done and ready for powdercoating.

DSC04978.jpg

Result of the first batch (they had grease nipples).

index.php

index.php

Result of the second batch.

These things ended up costing me around R1200 if I recall correctly. When you go to your engineering guy, he will curse you. Because it is a time consuming piece to make. It is made up in two parts, and somewhere in the process, its welded together.

In my humble opinion, you can make one in your garage with a grinder, welding machine, drillpress and tap set. But it will look.... well... as good as a part made in a garage with a grinder, welding machine, drillpress and tap set. Take it to an engineering shoppe, you will get a par that looks OEM.

Any questions?