HPN's at the Steynsburg Funduro 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
It is a fun day out on a 100km Enduro Track over the mountains near Steynsburg in the Eastern Cape.
The organizer said it is only suitable for bikes the size of a KTM 690 or smaller...  >:D

Kenisis said:
:useless:

Then you should have been there to take some :eek7: We were to busy with other things to bother taking some.....not.
Watch this space there are some stunning imagery comming. You will just have to be patient as Michiel is working hard to get them just perfect for you guys.

First of all I have to thank Oom Glenn and the other organizers for making the event possible. This is an annual happening.
I must be honest, I wasn't sure what exactly to expect but this Funduro delivered 110% to my expectations.  :thumleft:

We arrived early since the Funduro only started at 11AM. As the other contestants started rolling in I realized Dusty and I
were the only riders not to trailer our bikes to the event. This was going to be interesting! With the sound of quads and the
smell of two stroke filling the air all the plastics gathered around with the two HPN's looking right at home.  :pot:

StenFun001.jpg

StenFun002.jpg

StenFun003.jpg

StenFun004.jpg

StenFun005.jpg

StenFun006.jpg

StenFun007.jpg

StenFun008.jpg

StenFun009.jpg

Unlike the HPN's that has a 700km range the plastics have to refuel more often making a 1/2 way fuel stop necessary.

StenFun010.jpg

StenFun011.jpg

StenFun012.jpg

StenFun015.jpg

StenFun013.jpg

StenFun014.jpg

StenFun016.jpg

StenFun017.jpg

StenFun018.jpg

StenFun019.jpg

StenFun020.jpg

People came from as far as Bloemfontein, Port Elizabeth and Aliwal North for the Funduro.
This is also the reason for starting ao late, it gives them time to get to the event on the same day.

StenFun021.jpg

I was getting a bit worried though. Riding a 200kg bike on an plastic bike trail takes time, lots of time.

StenFun022.jpg

StenFun024.jpg

StenFun023.jpg

StenFun025.jpg

Finally the briefing commenced.

StenFun026.jpg

StenFun027.jpg

StenFun028.jpg

The guy was just running us through the route and said things like:

"Wanneer u die berggebied betree, slaan ag op die waarskuwingstekens en wees versigtig. Toegang om
ongevalle hier te help is moeilik, wees uiters versigtig."

"Tweewiel fietse wees bedag op glyerigge toestande op klippe agv fonteine."

StenFun029.jpg

StenFun030.jpg

StenFun033.jpg

Dusty looking calm and collected. Or no, look at that twinkle in his eyes, he looks exited! I wasn't so sure...

StenFun032.jpg

And it's on!

StenFun031.jpg

StenFun034.jpg

Ja, ja. They're comin.

Right at the starting point the route planners plotted out a little water crossing viewable from the tarred road.
The town's people and other by passers gathered here to view the spectacle that ensued.

StenFun035.jpg

Look at Dusty jumping to try escape the flying muddy water.

StenFun036.jpg

StenFun037.jpg

StenFun038.jpg

StenFun039.jpg

StenFun040.jpg

StenFun041.jpg

StenFun042.jpg

StenFun043.jpg

StenFun044.jpg

StenFun045.jpg

StenFun046.jpg

StenFun047.jpg

StenFun048.jpg

StenFun049.jpg

StenFun050.jpg

StenFun051.jpg

StenFun052.jpg

StenFun053.jpg

StenFun054.jpg

StenFun055.jpg

StenFun056.jpg

StenFun057.jpg

Dusty catching his breath. Photography is an exhausting business!

StenFun058.jpg

StenFun059.jpg

Classic!

StenFun060.jpg

StenFun061.jpg

One last quad.

StenFun062.jpg

Check this out! This guy's bike wouldn't start so he took his girlfriend's TW and pillioned her!!! Koedeos man!  :notworthy:
I will never ever ever say anything bad about a TW again.

StenFun063.jpg

StenFun064.jpg

StenFun065.jpg

StenFun066.jpg

Sensibly the competitive riders went first with the more cautious riders following and at the very end,
like agter osse, the photographers.  ;D

StenFun067.jpg

With all the chaos surrounding the quads crossing the muddy water I was worried but Dusty forged ahead.
As usual the HPN didn't make much of a fuzz and cruised through effortlessly.

StenFun068.jpg

StenFun069.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

Michiel hou nie veel daarvan om moder op hom of veral sy bike te kry nie so die moddergat hier reg aan die begin het amper sy fun ge-spoil.
Soos gewoonlik maak die HPN's geen fuzz van die tiepe van hindernisse nie.

Dit was wat vir ons voorgele het :eek:

IMG_5167.jpg

Skerp draai en styl bulte met klippe en allerhande obstacles in die pad. Ek het op een staduim so hard met my regterkantse crash bar in n klip vas gery dat dit heeltemal gebuig het en self die tubing plat gedruk het.