HPN's at the Steynsburg Funduro 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IS DAAR NIE FOTOS VAN DIE OUENS WAT VOOR WAS OP DIE HONDAS NIE.NR 934.DAAR IS NET FOTOS GEPOS VAN DIE AGTERSTE RYERS

JacquesCRF450R said:
IS DAAR NIE FOTOS VAN DIE OUENS WAT VOOR WAS OP DIE HONDAS NIE.NR 934.DAAR IS NET FOTOS GEPOS VAN DIE AGTERSTE RYERS

Het jy nie iemand saam met jou gevat om foto`s van julle af te neem?

JacquesCRF450R said:

Soos jy jou kan voorstel is dit nogals tydrowend om fotos te neem en self ook deel te neem aan die enduro.
Dit gebeur dikwels dat die voorste vinnigge ryers lankal uit die prentjie verdwyn het wanneer ons die kameras
uit en gereed het. Volgende keer moet jy bietjie aanhang as jy 'n fodie van jouself wil he. Die beste is egter
om saam met die fotograwe uit te hang!  ;)

Kenisis said:
Awesome looking Event. How long did you guys ride for?

Cheers

Yes, it was lots of fun. First time I went on a planned ride like this sort where I didn't finish the ride just because
there was so much of it. The organizers really put out a killer route. We rode 50km of the 100km route and that
took us 5 hours. Keep in mind though we were not racing and went out there to enjoy the countryside by frequently
stopping and taking pictures ex.

Following the dust trail on to the first section of the route I was still not sure what exactly to expect. It was clear
though that we will be avoiding any public roads as none of the contestants had roadworthy bikes. a Large section
of the trail will follow the Black Eagle Ridge but what that would involve I had to wait and see.

After a short ride on tweespoor farm roads we hit the first of the more interesting stuff as we started climbing the
foothills.

StenFun077.jpg

StenFun071.jpg

StenFun072.jpg

Dusty stopping to take some pictures... :p

StenFun070.jpg

StenFun073.jpg

The track was slowly taking bits off the TW. At this point the chain also came off.

StenFun074.jpg

Some of the last quads we passed in the vlak now caught up and overtook us.

StenFun075.jpg

I took a moment to soak in the view.

StenFun076.jpg

StenFun078.jpg

The wind was now howling over the mountain tops. Just keeping the bike upright was starting to become an effort.
Soon we were making our first descent on single track clearly marked but not suitable for the farmer's bakkie anymore.

StenFun079.jpg

Dusty looking relaxed.

StenFun080.jpg

StenFun081.jpg

At this point, while we were catching a breath, some of the first hard core riders came bolting in the opposite direction.
They went straight up what looked like an impossible climb not far from where we were descending. I was confused. Two
hours later, as we nervously negotiated the same impossible ascent, I realized they were indeed on the same track but just
so far ahead.

There you go Mr 934! Congrats for finishing first!!! :thumleft:

StenFun082.jpg

Dusty comin down.

StenFun083.jpg

StenFun084.jpg

StenFun085.jpg

More lekker riding. At this point my arse started eating little bits of the seat. The descents were slippery and tricky as the
trail had countless little sharp turns.

StenFun086.jpg

HPN 663 in her natural environment.

StenFun088.jpg

More stunning views.

StenFun087.jpg

Pragtige foto's! Het in daardie wereld grootgeword en leer bike ry op 'n Honda 150 "apteekfiets" wat ek uit scrap gebou het. Onthou nog die ketting is met 'n 6" spyker gelas (darem kort gesny en mooi omgeklink).
Ryperd

At one point one of the youngsters on two wheels stopped us and warned us about a very steep climb that we should avoid as almost all the two wheelers fell over on this loose steep section. He have not yet learned that to us these kind of warnings is simply an open invitation for a challenge and we are not that easily put off by idle talk. We might consider not going there if riders are airlifted out with broken bodies but otherwise we have nothing to loose but our pride.
So off we went and some distance down this impossibly steep and tight little track down the side of the mountain we could see the spot mentioned. I made a short stop and after contemplating the approach angle I got going....it was real rocky and steep enough to almost bring the HPN to a dead standstill but somehow every time I dabbed a foot she got going again with the back wheel digging for traction.
Before I knew it I was on top and not even a single spectator around to see how these beasts simply makes mincemeat of a challenge like this.

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

This was the sweeper. He got impatient with our photo sessions and left us behind ???
IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

Ryperd said:
Pragtige foto's! Het in daardie wereld grootgeword en leer bike ry op 'n Honda 150 "apteekfiets" wat ek uit scrap gebou het. Onthou nog die ketting is met 'n 6" spyker gelas (darem kort gesny en mooi omgeklink).
Ryperd

:thumleft: Klink of jy 'n kleurvolle motorfiets geskiedenis het.

Flippen nice ride guys ! And as usual those HPN's of yours made me have an accidental pants discharge !  :imaposer: I'll go home and change my underpants now  :biggrin:
ps... Michiel , ek wag nou nog vir my ''high res'' fotos van Dusty jy en ek . Kom nou tjom  :deal:

Michiel said:
Rustig nou, goeie dinge kom na die wat geduldig is. Rome is nie in een dag gebou nie.  :peepwall:
:bueller: ok , solank jy nettie vergeet nie samblief  :)

So on we plowed.

StenFun089.jpg

StenFun090.jpg

At this point we cheated a bit. After ascending yet another precarious loose rocky section the trail went into "die vlei".
This is a marshy bog with some deep water crossings. Dusty and I agreed to skip this section and joined the rest of the
trail a short distance further. Although mud and water makes for lots of riding fun I have found early on in my biking life
that it is the best way to completely fu*k up a machine. I trust the 663 fans out there will back me on this.  :tongue:

Back on the dry we approached what was to be the most beautiful section of the day.

StenFun091.jpg

StenFun092.jpg

Dusty stopping to "take more pictures".

StenFun093.jpg

Having skipped part of the trail we were now ahead of some of the last riders.

StenFun094.jpg

StenFun095.jpg

More scenery.

StenFun096.jpg

Sometimes a centre stand and side stand doesn't work. The best way to park the bike then is to put 'er down.

StenFun097.jpg

This section made for exiting riding. Much of the trail felt like an skills challenge on steroids. By now we were the last people
on the trail. Even the sweeper overtook us.  :ricky:

StenFun098.jpg

StenFun099.jpg

This is the sweeper on his way to pass us. God bless him for helping me earlier on to turn 663 around after I failed to
ride up an steep incline. I found that turning around and making a whole new approach is better and easier than trying
to start riding from a bad standing point.

StenFun100.jpg

Dusty. See what I mean with "skills challenge". The trail has countless tight turns and endless obstacles. Just like a
skills challenge.

StenFun101.jpg

StenFun102.jpg

Swart Baard said:
My goodness  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Maar dit lyk lekker  :drif:

Ons wil graag volgende jaar 'n "big bike" afdeling organiseer. Die area het soveel potensiaal. Die groter
fietse, 650 DS bikes - 1200 GSA's sal op baie plekke dieselfde roete ry as die plastics, maar die afstand
sal heelwat korter wees. Dit sal 'n rooi roete wees en jou die hele dag neem om te voltooi. Ek sal
persoonlik die roete scout en seker maak dit voldoen aan die standaarde.  :deal: