I broke my XT's back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourens

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Actually just the topbox bracket and sub frame but its my fault.  The main reason, overloading! 

A few months ago I mounted a metal amo case on the back.  In it I carried everything, air pump(the Wild@Heart one), tools, raincoat, bike cover etc.  I must still weigh it to see how heavy it is but I know its way too much.  Common sense should have told me that something must break.  It hangs rather far back from the mounting points as you can see below.

xt_box.jpg

Seeing that there was very little rust I immediately knew where I broke the camel's back so to speak.  ;)

On the 7th Nov I had to go a 4x4 event close to Mooinooi for photos and I rode over Breedsnek.  After some serious rain it was very washed out with deep ruts crossing the road.  As everybody who have ridden there on a Saturday morning will know the place is taken over by mountain bikes who of course takes the best lines always.  I ended up going through some rather deep ruts and over some big rocks.  That must have been where the topbox bracket and the sub frame broke.

On past Saturday I first saw the cracked topbox bracket. I took it of to weld it up and for some reason felt I must take of the back piece of plastic that hides the subframe.  BIG was my surprise when I saw the cracks!

As you can see the right was cracked very bad and actually broken completely off.  That little loop with the nut held it together!  The most weight was on the left hand side in the amo case.

The right wasn't bad.  I stuck a tooth pick in for scale.

cracks.jpg

Thankfully I can help myself fairly well with welding.  With my wife helping to bend the left straight so that the crack closed I first welded right around the pipe. I then welded tight strips along the pipe over the crack building it up an extra ±2mm right around. Did the same on the right side also.  That is now the frame's strongest point!  I just painted it with black anti rust paint for now because its what I had but will paint it nicely soon.  You cannot actually see the spot where I did the welding because it is hidden behind a plastic cover.

I will have to find another way to mount my box much more forward over the mounting bolts but I'm still thinking about it.

My plan was to do the Toyrun on Sunday morning with my wife as pillion.  Can you imagine what would have happened
if the frame broke off completely while we were riding!  We did go and deliver the toys at about 12 o'clock after the bike was put together again.  :thumleft: