I need a new buff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Yesterday Celéste and I decided that we'd spent way too little time together over the last while, and, come 11h30, we were on the bike and on our way. The route promised to be tar most of the way - all we were after was a lesiurely cruise - we headed out to Franschhoek, over the pass, down to Theewaterskloof, and on to Grabouw. The weather was fantastic, albeit a little nippy, and the Dakar relished the opportunity to hit the tar for a change, flicking gracefully in and out of turns on the passes.

It was after Grabouw that we decided to hit the Highlands road to Kleinmond, figuring that we'd follow the coast home afterwards. As we swooped through yet another bend, we came across 3 men in the middle of the road. As we rapidly approached it became shockingly apparent that 2 of the men were attacking the 3rd...

Just after passing them I slowed down to investigate - the victim was running towards us, arms outstretched as if to cry for help, his attackers in tow. I was faced with a dilemna - continue on, or stay and risk danger (I had spotted a brick/rock in the road during the incident and feared it being hurled at us). I rode on, and then turned around and headed back, deciding that I would keep enough distance to be out of brick range, yet close enough to monitor the situation and possibly scare the attackers away. As the scene came back into view, however, the attack had concluded - the attackers were in the distance, casually heading through a farm, and the victim was staggering towards us in the middle of the road.

I parked and dismounted - as he approached, I noticed that he was covered in blood. I took a closer look and realised that he had suffered a massive blow to the side of the head - probably from the brick/rock. He sat down and collapsed onto his back in the middle of the road, sobbing. Myself and a French tourist helped him out of the road to the side. Celéste decided to phone the police - luckily at that point some locals passed by and - once we had explained that the man had been attacked and we had not hit him with our motorcycle - gave us the local police station's number. Celéste phoned for a squad car and ambulance while I attended to the man.

The man was bleeding profusely - he was covered in blood, so much so that I couldn't tell where it was all coming from...

"Waar is jy seer?"
"My kop"
"Net jou kop?"
"Ja meneer"
"Hulle'd jou nie iewers gesteek nie?"
"Nee meneer, net my kop"

I know nothing about first aid, but I decided that I needed to do something to at least slow down the blood. I tore my buff open and wrapped it as tightly as I could around his head - it obviously didn't stop the bleeding but it helped. We had 2 bottles of water with us - I gave him the one and told him "drink" so as to keep him hydrated. I told him to close his eyes and pored the other bottle over his face to clear the blood. I spoke to him as much as I could to keep him upright - "daai mense, hulle sien my daar drink, dan hulle wil my geld steel, hoekom" - I looked in his hand where he was clutching a few coins and notes - not much.

We phoned again - "please make sure the ambulance gets here soon, this man is losing a lot of blood". Eventually the cops arrived, but not before some locals stopped. One of them spoke the man, and found out who the attackers were. Luckily the man knows the area, and could tell the police what farm the attackers worked on - he pointed, it was the same direction I saw the men heading off to.

The ambulance arrived and attended to the man. We said our goodbyes and kitted up. By the time I was in 3rd gear tears were streaming down my face. I still don't know why. Perhaps the absolute lack of humanity I had been faced with - how 2 men would beat a man near to death for a few rands and then simply walk away. Perhaps the shock of watching a desperate man near bleed to death. Or perhaps the words he said to the policeman just before the ambulance arrived:

"As dit nie vir daai wit man was nie, is ek nou dood. As nie for hom nie is ek nou met Jesus".

Perhaps his gratitude, perhaps the fact that he was certain of where he was going if he didn't make it. I don't know. All I know is as I road home via Kleinmond, some of the most beautiful scenery the Cape has to offer, I was numb to it, numb to the mountains, the beautiful ocean, the whale we saw. What's the use of it all if God paints this beautiful picture for us to enjoy, yet we can't treat each other with love and respect. What's the point of my job, my bike, the house I live in, if a man had bled to death this day?

We don't know what tomorrow holds. We might not be here anymore. So enjoy it, ride as often as you can, and always, always stop to help.

Well done on stopping Wes.

You did what was needed, and gave someone less fortunate than most of us the humanity, care and respect we all deserve. May your good deed have dividends (of some kind) down the line.

i've also got a lump...

I think you did the right thing by taking care of your wife first.

I recommend a first aid course to everybody. I learnt from lifesaving on the beach, but did a refresher at work.
If you are offered the chance to do a first aid course  take it.

Why were they fighting?
Just robbery?

I hear stories like this and have to think what would or could have happened if I was there.
Makes you think.

btw, I think you did great, top marks.

Well done Wes. Well done. Not many would have stopped.

Heavy topics on the forum these days... More incidents too.

shark_za said:
Why were they fighting?
Just robbery?

as far as we could tell, just robbery...

thanks guys, just so you know though, I didn't post this as a "hero" story, but thanks...

topbox - ja, first aid course, and i decided yesterday to get a proper first aid kit for the bike!

I cannot understand it either.

How someone can do this to other people for ANY reason.

Well done on helping out.
Took you out of the comfort zone a little eh ?

Nothing like a encounter like this to make one rethink your own priorities.

The other sad thing about farm workers are the downward spiral that they find themselves in.
Excess drinking, not knowing better, no hope, fetal alcohol syndrome children growing up to the prospects of very little escape from the environment. Despite some farmers' huge attempts to help farm workers break the cycle, it is hellova difficult, bordering on impossible.

Thanks for acting where it mattered.

the_wes, Your next Buff is on me!

Could the mangers of the Buffs please send one and PM for the billing costs.

Enjoy

Well done Wes.

unfortunately the reality in South Africa, is that human life is worth very little. good on ya for helping.

These wilddogs are a breed apart.

Gulp said:
the_wes, Your next Buff is on me!

Could the mangers of the Buffs please send one and PM for the billing costs.

Enjoy

thanks gulp, that's very gracious!

DUDE!
it ant nothing compared to what you did!
:) :) :)
Wish you all the best in fighting those " >:D" out your head, should they get in.
Strengh!

Geez, wes, not nice. Something like that takes a while to get over. Go easy for a week or so.

But you did the right thing - I would have done the same.

100% RESPECT!!!! WAY TO GO!!

IF YOU DID NOT STOP YOU WOULD BE AT THE SAME LEVEL AS THE GUYS THAT DID THE BEATING AND LEFT HIM FOR DEAD,

BUT YOU DIDNT AND THAT SHOWS WHAT YOU ARE MADE OFF

WELL DONE!!!

Bottom line, everyone walked away ok or relatively ok.
I think I would have stopped right there, put myself and my wife in danger and had to kill the bad guys.

Very different end result, dunno if thats one I would be happy with.

Hi Wes well done for stopping most of us would put it down to the kind of world we live in and done nothing but it is people like you that make all the difference in this world which is sadly lacking the like of you . My greatest respect and admiration to you and Celeste' ;)