Is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill p

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
On Sunday 14th we were coming back from a ride to Harties along a dirt road in Muldersdrift. We came around a corner and there was a guy who had fallen off his
mountain bike laying in the middle of the road, unconcious, his kid crying and screaming his head off. The guys face looked like a prune and as we stopped and rushed over , he came around. He was full of cuts and grazes and I could see that he had definitely broken some ribs or something.
It turned out the father had been riding along the path next to the road and tried to do a 1ft ramp back on to the road, bike slid out and down he went.
They did not have a phone on them so we used my phone, called his family and they came and fetched him.

I received a phonecall from his father yesterday morning thanking us for our help that day and upon enquiring about his sons health heard the following horror story.

When they got him mome they cleaned him up and took him to Wilgeheuwel for a check up. He had 2 broken ribs, one puncturing his lung which had colapsed. He also had a broken collar bone and while tryiong to sort all this out in hospital, his other lung colapsed. He came out of ICU on Saturday and has now discovered that his vision is blured and is now going for brain scans. 

All this while doing 20kph on a mountain bike having a fun day with his kid.

3 Weeks ago I was going flat out along the 2 spoor next to the Potch/ Randfontein railway line chasing my mate down and all the time just thinking what would happen if I crashed. Had I come off it would have been death. For what?

After this little incident with the mountain biker, mind made up.

I have just turned 57 and still have plenty of years to enjoy many slow, comfortable rides into the country without taking stupid risks just to reinact my youth. 

Latest posts