Itchy Boots - New Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking at the prepping and modding, the Kove 450 Rally is the bike she should really have gone for. I am sure that she learnt a lot since her first CRF250L where she bought the bike 2nd hand in SA, and there she went. The CRF300 Rally was out of the box - she did not even work on the suspension before setting off.
But then, building up a bike for the first time to fit your own special needs is an adventure in itself. Not everyone can do it: you first need to know what you want, and Noraly has ridden a few hundreds of thousands of kms, so she has a fair idea...

Last edited:
One concern would be the 30+ year old plastics. Polished up to look nice? They become brittle and won't withstand the punishment as well as new plastic.

One would have to see whether the front fender tool bag mod works. Some mudguards don't like the weight of a tool bag, and fitting a metal flange on top is not going to make old bones IMHO. Metal fatigue will get the better of this.

TenereMudguard.png

One concern would be the 30+ year old plastics. Polished up to look nice? They become brittle and won't withstand the punishment as well as new plastic.

One would have to see whether the front fender tool bag mod works. Some mudguards don't like the weight of a tool bag, and fitting a metal flange on top is not going to make old bones IMHO. Metal fatigue will get the better of this.

View attachment 921861
Especially a flat section like that, the holes may help a while or cause it to crack even quicker... time will tell.

Just looking at the prepping and modding, the Kove 450 Rally is the bike she should really have gone for. I am sure that she learnt a lot since her first CRF250L where she bought the bike 2nd hand in SA, and there she went. The CRF300 Rally was out of the box - she did not even work on the suspension before setting off.
But then, building up a bike for the first time to fit your own special needs is an adventure in itself. Not everyone can do it: you first need to know what you want, and Noraly has ridden a few hundreds of thousands of kms, so she has a fair idea...
The Kove would have been perfect but like you said; building a task-specific bike is part of the fun, even if there is a better tool for the job.

I think she is going to have some challenges that come with an old bike, no matter if everything has been rebuilt. Should make for a good series.

The Kove would have been perfect but like you said; building a task-specific bike is part of the fun, even if there is a better tool for the job.

I think she is going to have some challenges that come with an old bike, no matter if everything has been rebuilt. Should make for a good series.
True, hey.
These old bikes, adorable and cool as they are, just don't have the handing/brakes/etc etc ..... even if 30 kg lighter than modern equivalents.

That is what makes a good season. Some challenges along the way, and the story of how it was surmounted. Go Noraly!