Jagtvlakte 20 December 08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fugly

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So after a good afternoon of sun tanning and drinking beer, Fugly gets a call from Rone who wanted to ride to Gamtoos for a nice couple of frosties.

And so it began.

As Bakkie had been monopolising the forum all afternoon instead of riding, we thought we would get his number from Thump.  :thumleft: good call that was as they were meeting Crab at the Engen in Cape Road opposite Makro for a ride to Jagtvlakte and Rone and I jumped at the chance to have a better ride than what was planned.

When meeting at the Engen, Bakkie spoke to 2 GS riders from Natal who were on the way to George. After getting talking Bakkie suggested to them that they do all the passes between Knysna and George to which they unsurprisingly  :pot: replied "we don't do gravel"  :imaposer:

Anyway, the gang was held up for a few minutes as Fugly quickly topped up his oil. Turned out this was a good thing as we could have been caught out in a really nasty accident where a bakkie (a real 1) rolled about 5 km up the road just before we passed that point and we could have been in the thick of it if we weren't dellayed those few minutes. Thump and Fugly stopped to see what could be done and as he had a medical kit and gloves, he stayed to help and Fugly left to join the others. All 8 of those injured, some seriously, were taken to hospital but Thump missed the ride. Good on you Thump for helping the injured  :thumleft:

I'll post the picture of the accident scene if there are any requests.

Anyway, Bakkie, Rone, Crab and Fugly continued our ride. Being rather brave with a brand new Dunlop 606, Fugly decided not to ride around the mud like Bakkie with the expected result... :imaposer:
CopyofP1120889.jpg

CopyofP1120890.jpg

For the second time in a week, Fugly demonstrated that Rone's DMD armour was good stuff  :thumleft:

We then continued on our jorney and found a lovely steep decline which we would ride back up again after the visit to the flaktes. Rone and Crab negotiated their way down without incident.
CopyofP1120892.jpg

CopyofP1120894.jpg

CopyofP1120901.jpg

We then came across a nice little hump in the road to play on  ;D
Bakkie
CopyofP1120903.jpg

CopyofP1120904.jpg

CopyofP1120909.jpg

CopyofP1120910.jpg

Rone
CopyofP1120919.jpg

CopyofP1120920.jpg

CopyofP1120921.jpg

CopyofP1120922.jpg

Crab
CopyofP1120925.jpg

CopyofP1120933.jpg

Fugly
CopyofP1120936.jpg

CopyofP1120937.jpg

CopyofP1120941.jpg

CopyofP1120945.jpg

On the way back, negotiating the incline we previously came down was a bit more testing for Rone and Fugly who both took a tumble  :imaposer: and again Rone was shown how well his body armour worked  :deal:. (I wonder when heâ??s going to want it back?) And yes, I think he is going to now buy new crashbars and not try to scavenge some second hand ones!  :pot:
The â??roadâ?
CopyofP1120963.jpg

CopyofP1120969.jpg

Crab
CopyofP1120953.jpg

CopyofP1120956.jpg

CopyofP1120957.jpg

Rone, looks like he went farming! :peepwall:
CopyofP1120960.jpg

CopyofP1120961.jpg

CopyofP1120962.jpg

He did  :imaposer:
CopyofP1120964.jpg

CopyofP1120965.jpg

CopyofP1120966.jpg

And then makes it but almost lost it where Fugly didâ?¦.. :biggrin:
CopyofP1120972.jpg

CopyofP1120974.jpg

CopyofP1120975.jpg

CopyofP1120977.jpg

CopyofP1120979.jpg

CopyofP1120981.jpg

We then met up with Thump who was finished nursing and we went for a frostie at the Keg! The dirty smile on Crab spoke volumes of the great ride we had.
CopyofP1120988.jpg

Here's some more pics....

The Posers that don't do gravel
001-1.jpg

ParaQuad Badge - very very clever
002.jpg

The Hill
004.jpg

On top of the climb waiting fro the KLR's
007.jpg

Fugly making his way up
010.jpg

Crab
018.jpg

Almost on top waiting for the guy's.... again  ;)
020.jpg

The reason we go for rides
022.jpg

Thanks for the ride and drinkies. It was lekker.
My hero for the moment remains thump, not many have the balls to stop and help accident victims the way he did. Well done thump.

Crab said:
Thanks for the ride and drinkies. It was lekker.
My hero for the moment remains thump, not many have the balls to stop and help accident victims the way he did. Well done thump.
Nice Ride guys
What is the story of the accident?

Lekker!  Nice ride.  One little comment, just for the sake of correctness, it is Jagtvlakte ... Not Jagtersflaktes!

Luckly I still got a bit of riding in looking for the Udduh okes. :ricky: :ricky:
Ended with a puncture in the back wheel :'(
And just to keep inline with Watty's correctness of facts, It was the 20th

Watty said:
Lekker!  Nice ride.  One little comment, just for the sake of correctness, it is Jagtvlakte ... Not Jagtersflaktes!

Bleddie rooinek!!!!

Nice RR Fugly  ----  really necessary to post all that pics of me taking tumble up that hill??  :eek7:

A bit of trivia 9/11 ... when one studies the 1:50 thousand topo map of the area the old original erf names are also interesting.  To get to Jagtvlakte (hunting open ground/field) from the SE, you have to cross Kakkerlaksvlei (Cockroach vlei) and Klipkuil (rocky deep waterhole in stream) - an area with superb D/S riding tracks before getting to the mud and pans of Jagtvlakte.  To the SW of Jagtvlakte one finds Rietkuil (deep waterhole in stream with reeds).  This section contains a number of ravines and streams - much more technical with "poephol knyp" declines - with and without loose shingle, water-crossings and even sand tracks.  A real plastic bike heaven, yet accessible to an experience D/S rider.  This area, that is not more than about 20 minutes riding from PE, is truelly one of the best kept "secrets" - a real exciting riding place!

Okay so I've sorted the photo bucket rooteen.

Looking for the others
Not there
WherearethoseokesNotthere.jpg

Not having a swim
Didntgoforaswim.jpg

Not there either
Notthereeither.jpg

Then found playground and waited for them
PG4.jpg

And the cause of the puncture.
Not even a super thick tube would have helped
Notevenasuperthicktubewouldhavehelp.jpg