Jhb to Cape Town via N1 then back to Jhb via coastal route (Nov 17th - 26th)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tifua

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Will be doing a ride from Sasolburg to Cape Town (on N1) then back to Jhb via Hermanus, George, Baviaan, Knysna, Aalwyn se Bak Caves through Patensie to PE then back up to the N1. First long trip for me; first long trip on the GSA and first time my GF will see South Africa (as well as first time on a bike) so a lot of firsts.

Route is pretty straight forward and got the distances and times as well as worked out accommodation etc. What I would like to get more information from those dogs that know is two sections. I am capable rider but I know I am also carrying pillion, full panniers and 1200GSA so want to make trip enjoyable, scenic and practical. Not trying to recreate the Camel Trophy but do want to show the GF (and myself as I have never seen the Garden Route or anything between Simons Town and PE) some of the best parts of SA.

Oudthoorn to Die Hel then onto Prince Albert: how is this route; how is this route in November; Any potential problems route wise or things I may want to avoid on a loaded GSA; advice?

Aalwayn se Bak Caves to PE via Cambria then Patensie. Its dirt road on the maps but so much maps don't tell a person. Again, passable by bike? Warnings or potential issues? How long does it take?

Any useful info will be appreciate, any routes, maps, tips or GPS tracks likewise. Want this trip to go well so she can see what SA has to offer as a place to live and settle.

Regards
Tifua

Latest posts