JHB To Kaapsehoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hey guys,

Had an awesome ride this weekend, JHB to Kaapsehoop, the long way round. There were road bikes in the mix, so it had to be all tar, but still it was a really good ride.

Went Benoni, Springs, Delmas, Ogies, Carolina, Hendrina, Machadodorp, Barberton, Nelspruit, Kaapsehoop.

On the way back, went Kaapsehoop, Nelspruit, Lydenberg (apparently now call Mashingshing), Rosenekal, Groblersdal, Loskop, Bronkhostpruit and back to Benoni. Total distance about 950km odd.

When I was planning the ride, there were plenty dirt roads that could have been used, so anyon considering this ride, you could change it to include dirt roads.

I have the GPS file available if anyone wants it, just PM me.

The condition of the roads was most good, except between Carolina and Hendrina. As one of the guys said, it's a pot hole witha  few bits of road in it.

Accomodation in Kaapsehoop was very good and reasonable. We stayed in "Die Kaapsehoop Gaste huis" and paid R385 each B+B. no single supliments where applied. There is also the Silver Mist Inn, which looked really nice, but was booked out for the weekend. Dinner can be had at Salvadores pub and restaurant, The Silver Mist Inn, or pre booked buffet at Die Gaste huis.

The Kaapsehoop mense are very friendly and inviting, and made us feel very welcome. We saw the wild horses and even had the oppertunity to feed them. (I didn't, I don't like horses). They are very tame, so there weren't any issues.

The route provided a good dose of twisties, and generally was good.

A bloody good route for a weekend.

Tintin

just waiting for t guys to send me their pics    :3some:

T junction of R541 & R38 just outside badplaas. Just completed some lekker twisties on the R541...

2010-07Jul31-Aug1-KaapsehoopBikingWeekend12-1.jpg

Some of the guys at the T junction of R38 & R40 just outside Barberton. Even more awesome twisties on the R38

2010-07Jul31-Aug1-KaapsehoopBikingWeekend16.jpg

More at the T junction of R38 & R40 just outside Barberton. Even more awesome twisties on the R38

2010-07Jul31-Aug1-KaapsehoopBikingWeekend19.jpg

Not seeing any dirt, but share the klm file please?