Jozi to Durban and back - Not the Long Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krister

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This is a very brief report, due to me not taking the "long way".  Also, pics were limited - I might post some later...

Day 1:

Left home early (at around 5am) and took the M1, M2, N3.  Just after Heidelberg traffic cops blocked the highway and traffic was redirected to the alternative route to rejoin the highway at the next offramp.  This was not really fun as (even at that time of day) it was bumper-to-bumper traffic on bad surface tar.  After rejoining the highway I decided to do the "long way" thing and diverted straight to Standerton.  The road from Standerton to Vrede was riddled with potholes - so much so that I had to do the Wild Dog stand-up thing on tar and went at around 80 km/h at times.  This made me decide to discard the "long way" and rejoin the N3.  The N3, apart from the tollgates, was great fun and the 1150 enjoyed the passes like a "Waltzing Matilda".  I arrived at my friend's place in Curry Road at around 14:00 with 681 km on the clock.

Day 2:

With a serious hangover and in rush-hour I travelled on from Curry Road to New Germany, and then to Malvern where I spent the night.  The Durban heat, traffic, ATGATT and full luggage was not fun, but the ride was nice.

Day 3:

After a braai the previous night, I left for a South Coast ride early the morning.  I rode the back roads to Winklespruit before riding back to Amanzimtoti for the Sharks game at Breezers.  This ride was good fun - especially because I could ditch the top box and panniers.  From there I left for Winklespruit where we spent the night.

Day 4:

With an even more serious hangover we left Winklespruit at around 10am for Johannesburg.  The first section of the road (Umbumbulu) was rain all the way to Umlaas Road, before refueling and a smoke break later we joined the N3 just before Pietermaritzburg.  The night was spent at Blue Haze Country Lodge in Estcourt.

Day 5:

We left Estcourt at around 10am and stayed on the N3 with lots of stops, arriving back at home at around 15:00. 

Final odometer reading:  1429 km travelled.  Good fun, but far enough for now!

Fark broer, not the best ride but sounds like good fun anyway! The thing is to enjoy it and empty your mind and feel at peace. if you did that, its a successful ride.

And of course this thread is worthless without pics  :biggrin:

HVDM said:
Fark broer, not the best ride but sounds like good fun anyway! The thing is to enjoy it and empty your mind and feel at peace. if you did that, its a successful ride.

And of course this thread is worthless without pics  :biggrin:

You summed it up right, HVDM.  The ride was bittersweet but the sweet parts were really sweet!  :ricky:

I'll post a few pics just now...

Some pics:

Attachments

• 11032010982.jpg
    11032010982.jpg
    38.9 KB
  • 11032010986.jpg
    11032010986.jpg
    42 KB
  • 11032010991.jpg
    11032010991.jpg
    54.9 KB
Well you got some nice dirt in. The last pic.

You blotted out your licence plate. Is your bike stolen or something?  :imaposer:

Next time you come down to Toti, we can do a quick 1 1/2 ride via Scottburgh, mostly tar but back roads and lekke fun. Can even show you a couple 100 meters sand riding practice, close to the beach with lovely views .....

Attachments

• IMG00826.jpg
    IMG00826.jpg
    134.7 KB
HVDM said:
Well you got some nice dirt in. The last pic.

You blotted out your licence plate. Is your bike stolen or something?  :imaposer:

Ja, at least some dirt between Standerton and Vrede area.  :thumleft:

Licence plate:  No it's to keep people here from stalking me!  :D

badballie said:
Next time you come down to Toti, we can do a quick 1 1/2 ride via Scottburgh, mostly tar but back roads and lekke fun. Can even show you a couple 100 meters sand riding practice, close to the beach with lovely views .....

Ja badballie, that's a deal Broer!  You mean the old road through Umkomaas?  Then we can have some more Hansa draught at Breezers afterwards  :mwink:  Enjoyed it there...  :ricky:

Yep we take the old through Umkomaas and then on the way back at Umkomaas, go little inland and past Mnini dam, plenty potholes, but lekker scenery and relaxed riding, with no traffic, so lekker. Can even do a few little dirt tracks as well !

Beer is always welcome and we have plenty nice pubs to try out !!!

badballie said:
Yep we take the old through Umkomaas and then on the way back at Umkomaas, go little inland and past Mnini dam, plenty potholes, but lekker scenery and relaxed riding, with no traffic, so lekker. Can even do a few little dirt tracks as well !

Beer is always welcome and we have plenty nice pubs to try out !!!

Sounds lekker!  :ricky:  Will be nice with the 2 1150s side by side - like CHiPs  :ricky: