jupiter's travels - the story of a journey ( Index Post 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The restaurant is OK, with some shade, not too bad food, but the service is wanting.

Once somewhat refreshed, we walk through the camp area to find the path to Arrow Point. I'm glad we did not make it here last night. To say the least it was dreary and dusty. Where we were was paradise.

Attachments

• DSC01078.JPG
    DSC01078.JPG
    325.7 KB
Its about a kilometer to the point but its hard work in the heat. The temp gauge on the bike showed 42 degrees in the shade.

In the end it was well worth it. The walk is scenic and the views spectacular

Attachments

• DSC01079.JPG
    DSC01079.JPG
    320.8 KB
  • DSC01080.JPG
    DSC01080.JPG
    314.5 KB
  • DSC01081.JPG
    DSC01081.JPG
    276.5 KB
  • DSC01082.JPG
    DSC01082.JPG
    336 KB
you get to the point and you can just stare at the majesty of it. There is a bit of shade aroung to catch your breath

Attachments

• DSC01086.JPG
    DSC01086.JPG
    247.3 KB
  • DSC01088.JPG
    DSC01088.JPG
    352.2 KB
  • DSC01089.JPG
    DSC01089.JPG
    327.2 KB
We head back and to the campsite. For the evening meal they prepare a braai pack for us, that with well deserved frosties goes down well.

We're tired from the days excursion, especially Lyn who does not take such heat well.( the real suffering though would come two days later.)

It was a relaxed pleasant day though and the evening is passed with quiet content. The next day is spent just loafing around getting all our stuff sorted to continue the ride. Our evening meal is a civilized affair in the restaurant.

When we came through the Cederberge I noted the bikes chain was becoming crunchy and the sprockets are shot. I phone Superfoxi to see if he could help. Of course he can... he always does. We'ed be in CT in about two or three days and all is sorted.

Some pics of the Hotel and grounds. A really pleasant place to arrive at after a long day's ride.

Attachments

• DSC01096.JPG
    DSC01096.JPG
    195.8 KB
  • DSC01099.JPG
    DSC01099.JPG
    346.8 KB
  • DSC01092.JPG
    DSC01092.JPG
    213.8 KB
  • DSC01091.JPG
    DSC01091.JPG
    186.5 KB
                                                                              Day 6

We will head tar for Kleinsee. For some reason I don't feel like riding to Port Nolloth. At Pofadder we stop for breakfast. We meet two ladies on tour as well and have an interesting time chatting to them.

Slabbing it is not fun, but we want to get to the coast in the hope of it cooling down. Unfortunately the exruciating heat of these few days would be a dominant factor, to the extent that Lyn vowed never to go to the Nothern Cape again.

Attachments

• DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    250.7 KB
  • DSC01103.JPG
    DSC01103.JPG
    168.5 KB
Springbok, sitting in that couldron, is mind seering hot. We stock up, as we don't know what we will find at Kleinsee and get out of there.

As we cross the mountain we chase a storm cloud and hear the next day in Garries that there was a massive cloud burst the previos evening.

Its 60km to Kleinsee and when you go down Spetakel pass, dropping from the plato, its scenic, but we're in no mood for it. There's only one tree between Springbok and Kleinsee. After some time I stop on the road for a drink. Lyn asks why there in the sun, and shows me the tree. I pull off and ride to it, switch the bike off, and we rest a bit. When I switch the bikie on, its dead.  :eek7:

I had been waiting for this the whole trip. Good thing it happened by the tree. When I came back from the CABC in September the bike died on me in Outshoorn. I checked through the electrics and saw the wiring to the Starter relay was cooked. Result of a previos faulty regulator. I giggled and McGyvered a bit and got the bike going. Back home I did not heed the warning, but spoke to Suprfoxi and he explained the problem. OK, I can fix it again, but this time I was prepared.

Strip the bike and out comes the gas soldering iron and tools  :biggrin: I had prepared for this job. I love bloudraad en tang.

Lyn is very concerned. We are litterally stuck in the middle of nowhere. 45 minutes later we are back on the road, all the hard wiring done  :thumleft:

Two weeks later it finally konked on me and I replaced the parts and a new Mosfet regulator from Mike. I think I'm still trying to find out from him what it cost.

Attachments

• DSC01104.JPG
    DSC01104.JPG
    320.2 KB
We arrive at Kleinsee and I learn its a controlled area. The guard at the gate is very friendly, but serious about his job.

"Het meneer plek bespreek "

"Nee"

"Meneer moet plek bespreek voor meneer kan ingaan"

"Goed, het jy vir my 'n nommer ?"

He gives me a number and I fone this friendly lady and book a spot. We're the only people there. Now this guard is standing next to me and listens to the whole conversation.

"Dankie" I say"daars dit gesort"

He starts again,"Het meneer plek bespreek vir die aand ?"

"Ja" I'm incredulous

"Gee my net 'n oomblik"

He fones the same lady and in total innocence conferms we had booked a campspot for the night

"Dankie meneer, mev X sê u het plek bespreek u kan maar ingaan."

We absolutely hosed ourselves.

The place is drab, but the campspot nice. All surrounded by bush. I find a well stocked Shop and bottle store and we're sorted for a nice braai. I won't go there for holiday, but enjoyed our stayover.

Attachments

• DSC01108.JPG
    DSC01108.JPG
    277 KB
  • DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    354.4 KB
Ag nee... is dit nou vir eers klaar.  Nou ja dan doen ons maar ander dinge in die tussentyd.  :peepwall:

Day 7

Now starts part three of the trip. Clover leafing all along the coastal towns to Cape Town. I'm looking for that story book fishing village. I'm told its Paternoster.

Over  Koinaas to Hondeklipbaai. Pretty village and we ride around a bit.

Attachments

• DSC01109.JPG
    DSC01109.JPG
    194.9 KB
  • DSC01110.JPG
    DSC01110.JPG
    193.8 KB
  • DSC01111.JPG
    DSC01111.JPG
    181.5 KB
There's a board down the road that says "shipwreck" so we go have a look. We find these flat rocks and park up on it to enjoy some of last nights braai.

Attachments

• DSC01112.JPG
    DSC01112.JPG
    155.8 KB
  • DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    272.7 KB
jupiter said:
Lost the writing Mojo  ??? I'll be buck  :lamer:
Is OK. :thumleft:

Ek het al geleer dat jy en jou MOJO nooit lank uit mekaar bly nie. :snorting:

Sterkte met al jou ventures mater............hel, waar jy die energie vandaan kry......... :patch:

Wow! It's taken me a few days of serialised reading, but I've got here at last. All I can say is what a great read/RR, can't wait for the next part.

I can identify, and one day I look forward to our paths crossing and meeting Jup the Zen Master.

This is brilliant and inspiring work Jup.

As mentioned before by others, you are truly blessed with Lyn and her sharing of your passion for biking. I look at the foties of her and you and I see the love in both of your eyes for each other. And for what you are experiencing together.

When the bash is over and your writing mojo returns I'll be reading each episode, and yearning to take my beloved there on the back of my bike.

jupiter said:
Lost the writing Mojo  ??? I'll be buck  :lamer:
:sip: Het jy al jou Mojo terug gekry, wil jou net herhinner en sien uit na die res wat gaan volg.  :drif:

Latest posts