Just mucking about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Worshond
Reaction score
Last week I decided to head out towards Olifantsfontein to explore some tracks I saw running all over the veld. Being a short distance from my house it turned out to be a fun ride. Bit rocky in places but not too bad at all. Some nice singletracks ran in all directions.

3179890835_e329f66fd9_o.jpg

You gotta love summertime on the highveld, green all over, a far cry from the dry and dusty winter months.

3179890829_b8dca22e51_o.jpg

Scooting around I came across this old disused structure, looks like it was used as an oven for bricks by the nearby factory.

3179890847_66a495f4e3_o.jpg

Some nice spots to play around on, the tall grass hides some nasty ditches though  ::) Back towards Irene I follwed a section of the railway service road as far as I could untill I crossed the Jukskei river.

3179909747_c9a48b7312_o.jpg

3179909751_b05081297f_o.jpg

On Wedenesday I had the oppertunity for a quick midweek ride. They are about to bulldoze Riverside Mixer so we decided to go and see if there were any trails left before the developers moved in. I rode with Mapeterpan (CRF 450) and his friend on a WR 450. They raced into the distance and I decided to ride at a more sedate pace taking some pics.

3180780238_0843142ed2_o.jpg

Riverside has some really fun technical terrain with plenty of river crossings with very slippery rocks  :ricky:

3180791558_a65528be6d_o.jpg

3179973151_7c58cc3dde_o.jpg

Mapeterpan approaching with a WR close behind, they were just about to lap me  :biggrin: I took a ride on the CRF and it's a beast !

3180825940_859c8e7fed_o.jpg

Meanwhile I was admiring the scenery.

3180825932_4a181255e6_o.jpg

Into the little forest section by the river things became tight and slippery certainly not the ideal place for a bike with mirrors ! Then I managed to get stuck on this log, the frame cleared but the links got caught up. Spinning the tyre on a log going nowhere I looked like a twat, I guess a pro will just wheelie over this small obstacle ! The rack for the soft luggage came in handy as I eventually pulled the bike over the log hooray !

3180848732_a98da2ce78_o.jpg

3180848736_cc71c50e1d_o.jpg

Not 200m down the trail I spotted a "shortcut" through the river, only the soft silt or whatever is in this small river buried the bike up to it's gear lever  :'( I layed it on it's side and managed to walk it out in first gear, I was making hard work of this ride.

3180021625_38034f6a60_o.jpg

Finally there was light at the end of the tunnel  :biggrin:

3180860942_3906e5d657_o.jpg

The section on Mamelodi's side was even more overgrown, stopping for a drinks break I smelled petrol. At first I suspected a stuck float but it soon became apparent the tank was leaking where it mounts to the frame under the seat. It's the second time the IMS has leaked. I would not buy another again  :mad: For now it's back to the stock metal tank with it's 180 km range, anyone want to sponser me with a RV Aqualine  :deal:
With this in mind I decided to head home before it started to leak anymore or worse my bike and myself resembling Ghostrider  :eek:

3180879928_e029007f66_o.jpg

3180873634_17ec4ec0ae_o.jpg

And thanks to LGF, got the sticker  :thumleft:

3179890841_c4d48b78bb_o.jpg

Just around the corner and lekker riding venues
Pity about the Mixer, but then development itself is a dozer

As usual, your pics and composition are excellent

Those trails look awsome. Lekker RR with excellent photos, as always.  :thumleft:

ps, where is the tank leaking and can you not plastic weld the crack.

At the moment the mixer is great riding, especially as the tracks are overgrown and tight with plenty of water. Love the place, pity it is to be bulldozed.
Very nice photo's

Mark Hardy said:
Those trails look awsome. Lekker RR with excellent photos, as always.  :thumleft:

ps, where is the tank leaking and can you not plastic weld the crack.

Will try but it's in a tricky place, the brass nut that holds the mounting tabs is loose as well. The other leak was fixed with a tent peg and gas stove it has lasted for a couple of months now.

Actually some very nice riding out towards Olifantsfontein, but be damn careful of the sinkholes hidden in the grass. There are two huge ones that have opened up recently on the West side of the R21 close to the Olifantsfontein off-ramp, and you drop into one of those you will never get out again. This is a dolomite area, and due to developments in the area the water table has been dropping resulting in the formation of these sinkholes.

HHHusky said:
Actually some very nice riding out towards Olifantsfontein, but be damn careful of the sinkholes hidden in the grass. There are two huge ones that have opened up recently on the West side of the R21 close to the Olifantsfontein off-ramp, and you drop into one of those you will never get out again. This is a dolomite area, and due to developments in the area the water table has been dropping resulting in the formation of these sinkholes.

Going towards the airport on the left side of the highway ? I have ridden some tracks following the power lines and then railway service road that leads to a small little mx track. Fun little ride.