Karkloof Push Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
A group of KZN WD's have been getting together and drinking over the last few weekends, so this last weekend we decided to do a short ride before the drinking started. This is not a proper Ride Report, not enough pics for that, but will post the few that were taken.

Dirty Boy on his KLR and Essbee on his KTM came up to Pmb from Durban and met up with Slashback and me on our KLR's, IanB on his KTM and Wooly Bugger on his GS.

We headed out of town on dirt towards Albert Falls Dam, then turned off into the plantations on a track that I have ridden a few times before. The track winds up through the plantations until it crosses over the top of the Southern side of the Karkloof escarpment.

Kark1.jpg

Everything was going great, all enjoying ourselves, until we came across a bit of mud:

Kark2.jpg

It had rained the previous night and the track had been churned up by the forestry tractors.

Slashback and I giving EssBee a push through the mud:

Kark3.jpg

Slashback:

variousFB043.jpg

variousFB042-1.jpg

variousFB044.jpg

Slashback coming back to help:

mud1.jpg

IanB showing us how its done:

variousFB020.jpg

variousFB045.jpg

variousFB046.jpg

EssBee and me:

variousFB019-1.jpg

We got all the bikes through after a bit of a sweat, the temperature was in the low 30's, but with all the moisture the humidity was throgh the roof.

At the top of the hill WoolyBugger  was finished, manhandling his heavy GS through the mud had taken it's toll:

variousFB021.jpg

We then went down into the Karkloof Valley, stopped for a beer at the Karkloof Club where a horse event was taking place.

From there we went back into the forestry areas and right to the top of the Northern side of the Karkloof, along paths and forestry tracks. No more photos from here on, the riding was too good and we were having far too much fun.

PS - All pics (except the last one), taken by WoolyBugger.

just looking at the photographs makes me tired all over again!
jislaaik, it was hard (for me)!
that GS is just sooooooooooo heavy
and the rider is toooooooo unfit.
thanks IanB for the help/advice/encouragement. Respect, dude!

Push Report!
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
didn't see it at first!
:thumleft:

Pistol said:
Coming down in December to do some riding there :thumleft:

Give me a shout when you get here and we can do some riding.

Slashback---YOU NEED to ride more--Looks like you have forgotten How to ride :eek:

JonW said:
Pistol said:
Coming down in December to do some riding there :thumleft:

Give me a shout when you get here and we can do some riding.

I'm on leave from Dec. 18 till Jan 11... >:D I'm sure there'll be others.

Thanks GG, the muddy bits were a bit hectic and slow, the rest was awesome riding though, hence no pics  :eek:

Off to suss out a route through Inanda Valley in a few minutes time for another ride next week.

Wheeeee!
That looks like fun!  If you have the right tires ;D

BTW I see now why you chose you name "Wooly Bugger" ;D

Seems that you dogs enjoyed the ride, however - it has not rained properly in the Karkloof area yet. I know the area well and used to farm there till recently. Next time you planning a ride, let me know and ill join you.
There are some good routes (not all plantations) in the area around the Karkloof Country Club such as Demagtenburg, York, Craigie burn, Gilboa, Karkloof Falls, Grey Mares tail, to mention a few. (and not to mention the little pubs everyhwere) If any of you have done the Karkloof Classic MTB race - you will know the routes and areas I am talking about. 
:drif:

Mud mud glorious mud, seem like a good time was had by all................ :D

[

BTW I see now why you chose you name "Wooly Bugger" ;D

[/quote]

you funny
i kill you last

Nice one chaps, WB like you said " GS is just so heavy"  "and the rider is tooo unfit"  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Only if when you have to manhandle it and when you tired!

Come now more rides like that and you'll be fit in no time!  :mwink:

working on it!
jonW is a tough task-master
but then he's a lot younger than me (wouldn't say so....... :biggrin:)
watch this space