Karoo MMC 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This is my first ever attempt at an RR , so please be gentle.
Does it only happen to me that when Im  about to embark on a ride I find I do not sleep very well? Toss and turn, playing the ride through your  head over and over?
Well, up at 4.30 to get ready and strap everything down to meet
Casting  Fom  Turd in Addo at 07h00.
We set off for Somerset East via Paterson as the road over Zuurberg has become very bad and neither of us wanted to get into repairing punctures too early in our trip. That would result in humour failure.
CFT topped up in S East and off we went to Swaershoek pass. A very nice ride( my first time in that area) through the farms. A word of caution though. When travelling on this road  please be aware of livestock lorries. The road is not very wide and both CFT and I were both nearly written off by trucks travelling at high speeds around corners. They do not give way and the dust was choking. If we had been in a cage, we would not be here today. At the bottom of  Swaershoek CFT stopped to find his rear tyre to be flat. No problem. Put foam in . We aren’t far from Cradock. And we are off only to stop again to put more foam in. I am now of the opinion that foam has a VERY limited capability. The contents of 2 tins did, however help us into Cradock to  Supa Quick. The manager is a keen biker and was very helpful. He had ONE tyre in stock . A Sirac in the size CFT needed. Coincidence? I don’t think so. R950 including tube and fitting? In Cradock? Bargain. While repairing tyre , the tyre guy called us as CFTs bike was leaking fuel. It seemed ok once on the road again. We then met up with Mighty Man JMOL and his two Pilgrims. Then it was off once again to Middelburg via Grassridge dam where we stopped for coffee and quick look around. CFT and I left JMol and friends to get to Mburg a little earlier to get ready for the evening talks. We were booked in to  rooms in Mburg for the two nights.A shower, change and off to Renosterfontein for the start of a wonderfull weekend.
1.&2. Swaershoek
3. Cradock in the distance
4. Mrs JMol SEN,Garvin,JMol & CFT
5. Grassridge Dam
6.CFT nearing Middelburg

Attachments

• DSCN0011.jpg
    DSCN0011.jpg
    125.1 KB
  • DSCN0013.jpg
    DSCN0013.jpg
    115.9 KB
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    155.5 KB
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    124.4 KB
  • DSCN0020.jpg
    DSCN0020.jpg
    140.8 KB
  • DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    133.2 KB
Sat morning , CFTs bike wouldn’t start and after some phone calls  and advice, we managed to get the carburetor sorted and back to MMC again. An awesome experience it was to be part 12 000 men with speakers  like Afrika Mhlope and Johnny Louw. The testimonies were especially moving . The leader of the CMA (I forget his name) made the Wild Dogs look like Mild Dogs.
Met up with Sidpitt, Kaalkoejawel, Tengai and is mate Trevor, Kaalvoet and his dadand of course JMol and  pilgrims. Good to see you all there guys. Next time lets organize this properly.
1 to 5. MMC 2013

Attachments

• DSCN0023.jpg
    DSCN0023.jpg
    155.8 KB
  • DSCN0025.jpg
    DSCN0025.jpg
    120.5 KB
  • DSCN0026.jpg
    DSCN0026.jpg
    162.5 KB
  • DSCN0028.jpg
    DSCN0028.jpg
    181.6 KB
  • DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    122.9 KB
Sunday at sparrows saw us back on the road to Neiu Bethesda then to Graaff Reinet . Took another route out of Neiu Beth which put us on the black top to G R but no problem, we needed to make up time. We are blessed in the E C to have amazing roads with beautiful scenery. If you haven’t been here, you are missing out. IN G R we met a group from the Ural Club on their way to Baviaans. These machines are in great condition and each one seems unique.After a meal we turned in at Adendorp to go to Kendrew where we made a wrong turn and ended up on the highway. Found another road close by that put us back on dirt to Jansenville. From there we went to Waterford then on to Sundays River Valley Via Paardepoort . We were unaware that some of the bridges/roads and had been washed away which was hairy at stages but manageable.
All in all, a great ride even with the dust that hung over the road due to lack of wind the whole weekend. To those of you who missed out, maybe next time.
1. Karoo sunrise
2 Alpachas( or long necked sheep)
3 kudu
4 Eland
5&6 Autumn in Karoo
7 Sneeuberg Nature Reserve
8 Zebra & blesbuck
9 Wildebeest & blesbuck
10 Photos dont do justice

Attachments

• DSCN0042.jpg
    DSCN0042.jpg
    133.6 KB
  • DSCN0041.jpg
    DSCN0041.jpg
    165.5 KB
  • DSCN0039.jpg
    DSCN0039.jpg
    155.9 KB
  • DSCN0038.jpg
    DSCN0038.jpg
    142 KB
  • DSCN0036.jpg
    DSCN0036.jpg
    135 KB
  • DSCN0033.jpg
    DSCN0033.jpg
    151.2 KB
  • DSCN0032.jpg
    DSCN0032.jpg
    136.6 KB
  • DSCN0031.jpg
    DSCN0031.jpg
    142.2 KB
  • DSCN0030.jpg
    DSCN0030.jpg
    126.8 KB
  • DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    147.6 KB
More photos
1. Lovely place to camp
2. Neiu Bethesda
3. The Owl House
4. All I saw to tow this were goats
5. Leaving N.B.( amazing)
6,7&8. Graaff Reinet

Attachments

• DSCN0061.jpg
    DSCN0061.jpg
    141 KB
  • DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    139.7 KB
  • DSCN0057.jpg
    DSCN0057.jpg
    152.2 KB
  • DSCN0055.jpg
    DSCN0055.jpg
    138 KB
  • DSCN0054.jpg
    DSCN0054.jpg
    168.4 KB
  • DSCN0052.jpg
    DSCN0052.jpg
    138.6 KB
  • DSCN0046.jpg
    DSCN0046.jpg
    136.9 KB
  • DSCN0045.jpg
    DSCN0045.jpg
    148.5 KB
awesome milk run you both had and a great 1st time ride report :thumleft: :thumleft:

Now let me tell my side of the story!
Well I first sms lakey at around 05:00, to get the answer, F!2k off I am trying to sleep. By then I was waiting at the gate, having had 4 cups of coffee and a Sammie.
At last I saw the KLR coming down the road at around 06:58, he did say he would be there by 07:00.
We slabbed it over Olifantskop Pass to the Annes Villa road. From there took the karoo gravel highway to Somerset East, stopping at the canal for a samie and coffee, then the 14km to the Swaershoek turnoff.
Road was great all the way until a couple of sheep trucks tried really hard to spoil our trip. Good thing I was going to MMC as the language that came out made the devil blush.
Just got into Cradock after pumping my back wheel a number of times with snot, which by the way doesn’t work at all. Went to the trentyre agency next to the steers but didn’t get a great reception from the okes as they were watching Rugby. Go to Gerhard at the Supaquik they said. So off we went to Gerhard and low and behold we got a smile, a new tyre and tube all fitted for R950.00. great price and service in my book.
The met Jmol and his chommies at Jmol’s moms place.

Attachments

• Image083.jpg
    Image083.jpg
    29.1 KB
  • Image084.jpg
    Image084.jpg
    41.4 KB
Nice! Still sad that I couldn't go to this one this year. Was it as cold as last year, or warmer?

Sorry you couldnt make it ,GB.
Was warm. Upper 20s during the day.
Some wore shorts into the evening

We got to Middleburg, checked in and did the whole MMC weekend.
Sunday dawned all too soon, we left at around 7 for Neeu Bethesda.
As we left Middleburg just before sunrise and the great karoo gravel highways lay ahead .................................... we decided to stop for coffee!!!
Rode through the Sneeuberg private Game reserve and saw lots of different antelope as well as a number of live jackal.
Neeu Bethesda was a bit of a disappointment, having to pay R76 for 2 cups of coffee and 2 scones. Shit it took a while to digest them as I was determined to get my moneys worth. Hightailed it out of there to Graaff Reinett where Aubry the cargaurd and the wimpy waited. Had a good breakfast, topped up the tank and looked at the Ural bike and sidecars that were going to go through the Baviaans. Sounded like a good plan but as you know plans are there to get in the way of sound advice.

Attachments

• Image089.jpg
    Image089.jpg
    25.7 KB
  • Image090.jpg
    Image090.jpg
    67.4 KB
  • Image092.jpg
    Image092.jpg
    67.2 KB
  • For Carrots.jpg
    For Carrots.jpg
    47 KB
Neeu Bethesda was a bit of a disappointment, having to pay R76 for 2 cups of coffee and 2 scones. Shit it took a while to digest them as I was determined to get my moneys worth. Hightailed it out of there to Graaff Reinett where Aubry the cargaurd and the wimpy waited. Had a good breakfast, topped up the tank and looked at the Ural bike and sidecars that were going to go through the Baviaans. Sounded like a good plan but as you know plans are there to get in the way of sound advice.
Took the Ardendorp road to Kendrew where after much arguing and coffee drinking we both decided on a road, and............................... it turned out to be the wrong road.
Turned through Uitkoms and then through to Jansenville. At this stage I hadn’t filled the tank and was getting a bit edgy about my fuel situation.
Would I make Paardepoort and then on to Kirkwood or not. Well I needn’t have worried. Got 3.43l per 100km consumption. Turd was running on a fart!!

Paarderpoort was a real eyeopener as a lot of the rivers had been washed away but the KLR and Turd sailed through the sand and rocks.
Eventually made it to Kirkwood and said cheers to Lakey and home!!

Thanks a million my boet for a great ride, lots of fun, laughter and arguments.

Attachments

• Image095.jpg
    Image095.jpg
    47.7 KB
  • Image097.jpg
    Image097.jpg
    56.5 KB
  • Image098.jpg
    Image098.jpg
    50.5 KB
  • Image099.jpg
    Image099.jpg
    78.1 KB
  • Drol.jpg
    Drol.jpg
    39 KB
  • Image099.jpg
    Image099.jpg
    78.1 KB
JMol, where is your RR and photies? And Tengai?

Lakey said:
JMol, where is your RR and photies? And Tengai?

David is out of town - he took a lot of photo's I want to share.

Latest posts