Karoozin' 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie to the list.  I'm heading over to South Africa in March 2011 for a 12 day trip around the Karoo on two rented F800GS.  We're thinking of heading across to the West Coast, down to Cape Town and back to George.  I know the Klein Karoo area fairly well as I grew up there, but I really need some advice on trails, roads, sites, etc along the general route we've got in mind.  What I've got so far is to start in George, head east to J'Bay, north along Baviaanskloof towards Uniondale, zig-zagging across the Outeniquas via passes and tracks and finally heading towards Oudtshoorn via the Montagu Pass for the end of day two.

Day three we'll travel across the Swartberg Pass to the hell and on past Prince Albert to the Great Karoo, possibly all the way to Merweville and back along Laingsburg.  That's inspired by Trailrider's blog.  My brother-in-law has a farm out that way and I just love that area.  It's got its own beauty.  I think we'll end somewhere along Ladismith for the night.

From there I'm already starting to run out of ideas, so help would be appreciated.

By the way, I see Google Map has loads of Eco Trails marked.  Are these any good on bikes?  We're looking for a bit of technical riding here and there to make it interesting.  Also, good accommodation.  My friend's a pom, so he's keen on seeing the big five.  Where's a good park along that route for a bit of game watching?

I'm so bloody excited about this trip!  :ricky:

Looking forward to the replies.