KLIPPLAAT SLEEPOVER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
I saw on planning a ride that the Kirkwood dogs were planning a sleepover at Klipplaat and decided to join in the fun.
They would all ride together from Kirkwood, but that was too far out of my way and we decided to do our own ride to the venue from King William’s Town.

The route was planned and as per usual, we left early morning.  The route would roughly be from King William’s Town through Double Drift Game reserve, Andries Vosloo Kudu Reserve, Sam Knott reserve, Kwande Private Nature reserve, a couple of zig zag roads to the R400 and then to Jansenville and then finally to Klipplaat.  Distance for the day is 457km.  The weather prediction was a bright and sunny day with temperatures reaching into the low 30’s.
Map attached of the route.

30kays later we left the black stuff behind and we were on the gravel.

On route towards Double drift.

Some info on Double drift Nature Reserve.
“Sprawling over 23000 ha of dense, pristine valley bushveld, and hosting abundant wildlife as well as the convergence of the Great Fish River and the Kat River, Double Drift Game Reserve is the perfect wilderness retreat.  The reserve has been linked to the adjoining Andries Vosloo Kudu Reserve and the Sam Knott Nature Reserve to form the scenically magnificent Great Fish River Reserve Complex
The goal of Double Drift is to conserve the environment, to provide economic stimulus to the local community, and to provide visitors with unique and ecologically sustainable wildlife experiences.”

This friendly guy booked us into the reserve and it was smiles all over.

Some scenery towards the lookout point over the Fish River.

The lookout point.

We saw an abundance of wildlife which included baboons, blesbok, bontebok, bushpigs, duikers, kudus, ostriches, waterbuck and some zebras.
Some more scenery of the reserve.

The Great Fish River crossing at the bottom of Double Drift.

After I dropped wifey at the other end I went back for some action phodies.

Double drift Fort.
“Double Drift Fort was part of the Lewis Line of six forts planned by Lieutenant Colonel G Lewis, commanding officer of the Royal Engineer Cape of Good Hope, during the Sixth Frontier War of 1835-1836.
Double Drift Fort comprised a rectangular fortified barracks for infantry and cavalry and was surrounded by a stone wall containing loopholes. Inside were quarters for officers and men; stables; kitchen and bakery; and storerooms. It included a two-storey gun tower projecting from one corner, on the flat roof of which would have been mounted a howitzer. It also had a similar projection at the corner diagonally opposite the gun tower, to give flanking fire along the other two walls.”

From here it was through Sam Knott and Andries Vosloo reserves.  Wildlife was plentiful.
We passed through Kwande Private Game Reserve and saw some more wildlife.

We travelled these roads on previous occasions and enjoyed it, but today were just different, we enjoyed it more than before, why I cannot explain, today was just special.  The weather was perfect, the air was fresh, wildlife were all over to see, the roads were from good to bad and to very bad.  The motorbike was purring under us doing what she does best on these roads.  We stopped frequently and just stared into the distance, listened to the quietness surrounding us.  We didn’t want this ride to end. 

The next part of the route I don’t know how to explain, I would rather add a map of where it is. 

Some scenery on route

Then we passed Riebeeck East and took the road toward Alicedale.
We went through a poort of sorts and after the poort turned right towards the N10.

We crossed the N10 and were on the R400 towards Jansenville, passing Darlington dam on the way.

Time for brunch.

The last little stretch to Klipplaat.

We arrived just after 3 at Klipplaat and the usual greetings, meeting new people, chatting, laughing, drinking and eating took place.  What a lekker jol we had.  At R120-00 per person, which included the accommodation, starters for as long as you could eat, supper and a T-Shirts this was the bargain of the decade.  We had a great day and to end it in the company of good people was the cherry on the cake.    Thanks to all the Kirkwood dogs, the outing was just great.

After a goods night’s kuier and sleep, we were early birds and headed for Jansenville.  The group planned for a brekkie in Janseville at 9o clock at the Hotel, but we had other plans.  We had to visit Bie and family and then it was the road back home, another 400 kays or so.

Early morning on the road again.

It was good to see Bie and his family again, and after a nice cup of coffee and rusk, it was time to say our goodbyes and hit for home.  We would take the R400 and take the turnoff at Waterford towards Pearston and then Somerset East and from there all the way to King William’s Town.
Route

The last couple of phodies from out route back home.

A brekkie at Bedford.

This was once again a wonderful outing, we enjoyed it tremendously.

Cheers

From

DIE VIS ARENDE   

:drif: Magtig wat kan n mens sê , weereens n mooi RR en fotos , kan nie glo ek het nog nie die Double Drift omgewing gaan ry nie , sal n plan moet maak...

Dêmmit julle twee arende het darem maar net die gawe om my lus te maak vir ry :drif:

Lekker julle twee! Ek raak so jaloers elke keer as ek iets van julle lees.  :(  Aan die ander kant moet tog nooit op hou nie, want sonder julle bydraes sal party van ons ook nooit kan "ry" nie.  :thumleft:

Baie dankie! Stem 100% saam met al bogenoemde opmerkings!

Well done!!  :thumleft:

Hoe gedra die knie hom op so trip?

Thanks almal, die fotos is natuur ma se werk.  :thumleft:

@ HB 9, ek is baie gelukkig gewees of ek het net 'n goeie dr gehad, ek weet nie eens van die knie nie, inteendeel, ek voel ander skete, maar die knieg is 100%.

Uitstekende nuus!  :thumleft:

Sien uit na nog vele RR's van jul 2  :deal:

Dankie Arende.Dit was nou sommer n bakgat trip.Daai fotos van Fort Dubbeldrif het my jare teruggeneem toe ek dit besoek het.Ek het daar gesit en my probeer indink hoe n Engelse soldaat moes voel wat daar moes dien doen.Dis ligjare verwyder van die sagte Engelse landskap.

Dit was lekker om Oom en Tannie saam met ons op Klipplaat te he. Baie mooi foto's en Oom kan darem mooi verduidelik... :thumleft:

Another great trip from the Arende. I think yamaha must start sponsoring you guys. That bike is becoming a legend together with you guys ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Lekker saamgery hier in Brakpan.  Dankie vir die deel van julle trippe.... Ek was al vir die 2de naweek op bystand gewees.... gat brand om bietjie te ry.

Brandt said:
Another great trip from the Arende. I think yamaha must start sponsoring you guys. That bike is becoming a legend together with you guys ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Please, please, please.  :biggrin:

Thanks for all the compliments, guys.