KTM 950 ADV. backfiring ;cutting out.(incident report)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithk

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Just a short incident report for all of those that have the Adventure models.
While on one of my regular dirt rides I covered some very badly corrugated gravel and immediately after the bike started to misbehave badly, she would pull like and ox right up to 160+ and then when I decelerated she backfired violently and cut out when the revs dropped too much. I managed to get home with great anxiety and I have taken it to get "fixed" I have been told by the mechanic that it is the rubber collar boot between the carburetor and the intake that has "split" and every time I decelerate the carb lifts and excess air is "sucked" in which interferes with the mixture.
Long story short KTM SA do not have stock of these and I will have to wait +- 2 weeks for parts to arrive from Austria. I have decided to replace both at the same time  which I think is the right way. I will then keep the other one as a future spare.
I have been told that due to the varying heat and cooling in that area this can happen, I think that during the ride when the bike was hot and I did the very bad corrugated road this could have added to the rubber been quite pliable and created the tear..
Can't wait to get her back on the road :thumleft: