Ktm 990 elec problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanceSA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I have had an ongoing problem with my battery going flat and what seemed to be the charging system. My dealer, who is a good friend and I have no issue with him, directed me to an Auto lec who is also a friend, races enduro and superretard and knows the Ktms for a diagnosis. Now here's the thing - the alternater is working, the charging system seems intact, the battery is ok yet there seems to be a loss of current somewhere in the system. If the bike is running and put on an amp meter, as you rev the voltage drops! Also, if the battery is charged up and the bike is ridden in short hops by the 3/4 start there isn't enough battery power to start it up. I have to carry jumper cables.
So after much checking we think the 'starter relay' is the problem. (see diagram - circled item).
Here comes the problem - there are none in the country, 2 week wait and Rally Raid is less than 2 weeks away.
Is there anyone who has had a similar problem? Does anyone know of a shop that might have a starter relay? Are the other ktm starter relays compatible eg from the 450 etc (dealer also checking this for me)? What about getting one from USA?

Attachments

• 999 Elec 3.JPG
    999 Elec 3.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 166