KTM 990 Suspension guru's your help is needed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi there

To make a long story short, as I wanted to ride my bike earlier this week I noticed a puddle of oil on the front wheel, the fork seal popped. So I did what I thought would be the smart thing and went and bought two bottles of 5W fork oil and two new fork seals.

I read a couple of how to threads on the internet and thought I was ready to go, last night I built a special tool to take the cap off the fork, which worked ok, disassembled the forks put on the new fork seal, filled with oil, with a 100mm gap to the to of the fork. I then reassembled the forks and tried to adjust them to the standard settings, couldn't adjust the preload, so I took the fork cap off again, loosened the preload adjuster and all was good. Now the trouble started, the rebound adjuster didn't want to turn. Got it loose, but now it just turns infinitely, the pin on the bottom of the cap also seems to have popped out way too far, from what I read the rebound adjuster came loose in the cap. The major question now is how do I reassemble this adjuster in the cap? Then pin doesn't turn or move, and the adjusting dial turns and clicks, but it can just keep on turning.

I cannot be the first idiot to have made this mistake, any and all advice as to how this can be fixed would be greatly appreciated.