KTM Rallye Raid 2009 - The Mud Monster nearly won.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So it was time to load up again and head for Kranskop.  I was solo again because I had some business in Bloemfontein in the morning on Thursday, and was not sure of my departure time.  What I did know is that most would be there before me, so when I hit the ashphalt it was straight down to the green hills of KZN without any detours.  At Greytown it started to drizzle a bit, I arrived at the venue fairly dry.  It was all the familiar faces, tents and stuff that greeted me there and I felt at home immediately.  Offloaded all my kit, did the registration formalities, moved into my tent, and within minutes I was sitting on a straw bale with friends, solving some complicated issues we all knew squat about.  Whilst we were doing that, it was raining in those green hills, on and off all night......

I am not here to tell you about all of that, we were here for a good ride, so we will stick to that part for the purpose of the report. 

068.jpg

077.jpg

081.jpg

The sun was out and we were in high spirits.  I slept well.  Not everyone did....  There was some serious competition in the camp site.  I found the snoring interesting - some go on the compression stroke and some on the exhaust - some have these long periods of silence in between, you know just as you get worried that the poor guy has stopped breating  ???, he fetches a long stroke from deep down again  :eek7:.  Some even build in a little wistle, a bit like a rock pigeon.  I am starting to doubt the effetiveness of the proximity of the tents, I would like to see them spread out a little next time.....  :deal:

Anyway, this is about riding - I digress.   :bueller:  The Day 1 route took us out of camp immediately with a little uphill after the dam wall where the mud monster was already having a nibble. 

078.jpg

The road was WET.  Everything, and as soon as we turned onto the first R2, we were on a slide, downhill next to the trees.  And the monster was having a full go.  I have never seen anything like this!  But there was no turning around - you see when adrenaline and testosterone mixes in the quantities seen at RR, you do not even entertain the possibility of admitting defeat.  The 690 was definately the weapon of choice. And my 990 with the topbox full of tools, spares, tubes and stuff was really a handful.  I can also tell you that there a lots of 990 riders who cannot lift the bike....  :eek:  And if you were unsure if you can, there was lots of opportunity to test this ability in real conditions - not on the lawn....

Here are some random pics, just to give an idea of the conditions

083.jpg

That is a nw TKC80....  :eek:
095.jpg

099.jpg

Outside the plantations it was better, and conditions improved as the day progressed and the sun did its job...

087.jpg

In the mountains - rocky single track with mineshaft type decends here and there:

100.jpg

Some serious sucking was done:
102.jpg

We are not lost - just temporarily unsure where we are....
105.jpg

Pictures dont show hills well:
109.jpg

They built a special T4A map with all the routes "auto routable".  Worked OK, but for a challenge here and there.  I looked at the ETA and said to my friend Bruce that I think we should have brought sleeping bags along....

112.jpg

Some more mud....

114.jpg

And another hill that is "flattened" by the pic:

119.jpg

Eventually we arrive at the lunch spot - not where the GPS said, it was moved after the routes were published.... But found it easy enough....

127.jpg

At lunch there was some activity - music, swimming in the hot springs, the food was good - prepared by the local police for some fund raising they do.  Festive mood, and a good rest with lots of Red Bull and water flowing in thick streams.  The boys were thirsty....

128.jpg

Recognize him - those Winterton farmers.....
130.jpg

131.jpg

The police were out in full force on DT175's, etc, keeping the peace along the way.  Good job - the lady station commander is a champion and you can see that things happen here - good effort from the SAPS!   :thumleft:

132.jpg

Die vleispotte van Egipte...
133.jpg

Like I said - the boys worked.  Road racing legend Rod Gray.
137.jpg

Curtis resting:
139.jpg

Re-brief was short - just keep going guys....
141.jpg

Did I say there was some mud en route?
143.jpg

A nice river bed section follwed and then back in the woods.  Conditions were better, still slippery here and there, but generally much more rideable

"KTM Climb"
148.jpg

150.jpg

And some sugar cane to end with

153.jpg

I really enjoyed the day - the mud was difficult to ride, but everyone was doing his part and all got through.  Lekker day!

Dinner with the Germans was excellent too.
159.jpg

Evening entertainment with the 3 girls singing ABBA songs and others from that era was well received and I think much more suited than Mr Naicker from last year.  Just me...

They also showed off the new 990 SM - nice hey?  :ricky:

239.jpg

Anyway, riding is what we came for, and Saturday morning we were out and about early.  Noticed some slower reactions and a limp here and there, but were were off after breakfast. 

160.jpg

What a great ride!  The traction was superb, no dust,  Too wet the day beofre and it would be too loose the next day, just great on the day.

The river section was interesting, good fun to watch too!

162.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

172.jpg

174.jpg

176.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

Then some more forest with crossing with a length of steel channel forming a bridge. 

181.jpg

Nice climb again:
184.jpg

Rather safe....
187.jpg

Lunch was at St Cathryns Golf Estate, good show once again:

190.jpg

Best looking bike on the farm  :biggrin:

192.jpg

Back at camp it was the Von Zipper sponsored rodeo, good entertainment as usual.

205.jpg

234.jpg

236.jpg

Evening prize giving was good fun - I did not win the Erzberg trip, the best I could do was to catch a Scott cap! Good enough!  ;D

Traditions stay:

241.jpg

245.jpg

Head mistress of the school had a go too!

247.jpg

We rode back to Durban after an excellent weekend, really enjoyed the riding and for the rest we were looked after well enough to be back next time if at all possible.

Pumping the tyres for the ride back - went through Karkloof and saw the Karkloof Classic MTB race, lots of those around!

249.jpg

Some business in Durbs this morning and headed to the Freestate.  Took all day, great roads!  I had a great time!

250.jpg

Thanks to all who made this another memorable one!  The Alfie Cox dealership had 45 entries, I believe the only one to have more than last year.  The KZN location did bring advantage, still a good effort by the orange banana boys however.  Total was 189, so they did not get the 250 they were hoping for, shows that the economy is still squeezing.  See you next year.

:eek: Looks lekker  :eek: Some serious mud and hills there. Proper knoblies would have been the best tyre choice for this one.

Well done S, and thanks for sharing.
:thumleft:

Great Report  :thumleft:

I am once again sorry to have missed the RR....... :(

Lekker riding there SGB, recognize some of those roads from MTB races I have done in the area.

Each year Mike manage to pull something new and more challenging out of the hat  :smileinbox:, the routes were much more technical then the prev years, and the mud just gave it that extra edge, not to mention the friday night entertainment, Mike Naicker was "bad" in a good way but "Fever" got the party started.  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Sorry i missed it, those 9XX must have been fun in the mud

And is that who i think it is strolling down to the river in his scants

bushclown said:

The man himself.....  :imaposer:
We missed you.  That 525 would have been serious fun in the mud!

SGB said:
bushclown said:

The man himself.....  :imaposer:
We missed you.  That 525 would have been serious fun in the mud!

I know bummed

You just cant take him anywhere  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: