KZN 3 Oct 2010 - Ngilanyoni Mountain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I confess ! I am addicted to Google Earth.

No. I don’t need rehab – I fact I am delighted with the addiction and have no intention of trying to kick the habit as it gets me out there on my bike to see what the places I see in GE look like on the ground.

A few weeks ago I noticed a flat-topped mountain between the Lovu and Mkomazi river valleys that looked inviting, and so I posted an invite, and to my delight EssBee came along with me today to explore the mountain.

As you may have read on the forum a few months ago EssBee  and his 950 got up close and personal with a pole and he has been off the gravel roads while the bike and his scrapes, dings and dents were repaired. It was great to be with him on his comeback gravel ride.

It was not a long ride. We left Pinetown at 08:00 and it was before noon when we got back, but it was really enjoyable and that mountain is really worth a visit.

Some pics from the helmet cam (smaller) and the “standard” one.

On the way out . .

q20101003Lovu_000.jpg

q20101003Lovu_001.jpg

q20101003Lovu_002.jpg

In planning the route I was a bit concerned about a very twisty and steep bit of road on the way. I need not have worried as it turned out to be tatty tar and easy but very twisty and steep.

q20101003Lovu_003.jpg

The road onto the hill marked as Ngilanyoni on the map.

q20101003Lovu_004.jpg

The road ended and we found ourselves heading across open grassland towards the edge of the mountain.

q20101003Lovu_005.jpg

We found a set of tyre marks in the grass heading in about the direction we were heading and followed them .

q20101003Lovu_006.jpg

The tracks lead to what seemed to be an old soccer field on the only really flat piece of ground in the area and we came across this friendly guy with his bakkie and asked him if it would be okay if we rode to the edge of the mountain to take some pics – he said no problem and showed us the way.

Edit: In this pic I am extending the hand of friendship, but he did not see it, or me, for a few seconds - he was totally fascinated by the bike and just stood there "Hau'ing" and "ay ay ay'ing" - I think Yamaha may have a new convert  ;D

q20101003Lovu_007.jpg

q20101003Lovu_008.jpg

Amazing views from the edge.

q20101003Lovu_009.jpg

q20101003Lovu_010.jpg

We noticed that there was a sort of promontory sticking out in the valley and there seemed to be a rideable neck leading to it, and so I left my camera with EssBee and asked him to snap a few pics of me riding out onto it. Nice results I think  !

q20101003Lovu_011.jpg

q20101003Lovu_012.jpg

q20101003Lovu_013.jpg

q20101003Lovu_014.jpg

A video from my helmet of the ride onto it. (13Mb clip)  

(reminder to self to clean the lens regularly !)

q20101003Lovu_015.jpg

q20101003Lovu_016.jpg

q20101003Lovu_017.jpg

q20101003Lovu_018.jpg

q20101003Lovu_019.jpg

From there we headed out of the Lovu valley and onto the Comrades rout vie Umlaas Road.  

q20101003Lovu_020.jpg

Great ride – thanks EssBee.

lekka RR GG
helmet cam is the business
the earths curvature is there !!!!!!

Heeh Haaahhh!!!! Thanks again GG for awesome navigation and plotting out SUCH a nice ride!!!! I enjoyed every second of it....some pics...

Attachments

• en route with the locals.jpg
    en route with the locals.jpg
    72.1 KB
  • the serpentine.jpg
    the serpentine.jpg
    105.7 KB
Man, what a delight that mntn top was!!! Spectacular!

Attachments

• dest #1 the flat top.jpg
    dest #1 the flat top.jpg
    58 KB
  • dest #2 the flat top.jpg
    dest #2 the flat top.jpg
    42 KB
  • dest #3 the flat top.jpg
    dest #3 the flat top.jpg
    127.4 KB
beautiful views Gunda! thanks for sharing.. :thumleft:

Nice one sorry i missed out, any palns for next weekend?

That Katoom is singing with joy....................Hahhahaaha

Nice one chaps..... sorry I missed it.

The Badger said:
That Katoom is singing with joy....................Hahhahaaha
Nice one chaps..... sorry I missed it.

The bike is being out-sung by the rider, but neither should leave their day jobs.  :pot:

. . .  but there is something magical about the sound of a big v-twin burbling along behind you at a leisurely pace  :)

The bike is being out-sung by the rider, but neither should leave their day jobs.  :pot:

. . .  but there is something magical about the sound of a big v-twin burbling along behind you at a leisurely pace  :)
[/quote]

Hey, I was feeling guilty disturbing the peace while backfiring on the overrun on the decents...let's face it, it is so quiet and peaceful out there....I'd rather disturb MY NEIGHBOURS!!!!! ( BM riders....no names mentioned.... :biggrin:) :imaposer:

EssBee said:
Hey, I was feeling guilty disturbing the peace while backfiring on the overrun on the decents...let's face it, it is so quiet and peaceful out there....I'd rather disturb MY NEIGHBOURS!!!!! ( BM riders....no names mentioned.... :biggrin:) :imaposer:

Hahahaha I love the sound of your machine anytime.......It gets my motor running  :mwink:

....and where is that...pray tell....

A drive and seven iron north of Nanda Mountain - (if you can hit a ball about 7Km)

In that area there are a number of flat-tops

A is Nanda Mountain - much visited
B is just north of nanda - can ride cattle tracks to the end - amazing views north and south. I dropped the bike about three times in cattle tracks  ;D Have to ask at the village to open a gate.
D & E I suspect you could only get up if your name is Edmund Hillary or you have a chopper - can see no way up.
C looks like it may be rideable - I wanna go visit. 

Attachments

• NandaAreaMountains.jpg
    NandaAreaMountains.jpg
    106.4 KB