KZN - add a new hill and waterfall to the library !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I bow to the Mountain God of Ngudlintaba, and admit defeat and declare that GundaGunda, and probably no other dual-sport bike rider, will get to the point S29 36.192 E30 50.696 by bike.

In fact if anyone gets up there on a DS bike I would be delighted to buy him or her dinner at the restaurant of their choice in Durban.

But that’s the only bad news, other than almost getting beaten up (with full justification I may add) by a grumpy home owner – but I’ll get to that.

Just four bikes today. Mr and Mrs BabyBeemer on a 650Gs, and myself, OffSide and Mrs OffSide (Whose forum name I regret I can’t remember)  on XTs of different vintages. We stuck pretty much to the route I published in the planning thread – Up to Kloof, down to Inanda Dam and then up onto Nanda Mountain as Mr and Mrs BB had not been there. From there we headed up North towards Ngudlintaba, took one look at my planned track, ditched the plan, and decided to push on via a scenic route to the Nagle area to another mountain top I wanted to try and ride. I had never been that far North, but the road we took was really pretty – especially after some nice rains in the last fortnight.

Up on the mountain the track I had plotted to the top took us through a small village. There was no sign of anyone there at all to ask to go through, so I just rode. The road went nowhere, and as we were about to U-turn the owner of the huts came out and karked all over us from a dizzy height – “This is a house, not a bush – you UNDERSTAND” I said I did, apologised and we high-tailed it away.

I should know better, but I thought the place was empty, and that’s a feeble excuse. Practise the courtesy that you preach Gunda.

We then tried a different route, and this time I followed Zulu custom of stopping outside a group of huts, walking in and asking the owner if it would be okay to ride up the hill. “No Problem”, he showed us the track and off we went.

This one was a little trickier than Ufudu or Ngilanyoni in that for a few hundred metres it was bumpy and rocky. After that it was okay and we could have ridden the mountain top but BB, two up on the 650 with roady tyres, wisely decided to stop, so we went back. (we got to about S29 33.692 E30 41.397)

Then off to find a waterfall. YeeHaa we found it, and wow – it’s impressive. Unfortunately we could not get a clear view down the falls from the top without hanging over a major cliff. In mapsource it is a drop of about 120m , but I don’t know how vertical it is. (it’s at S29 31.592 E30 42.679) I have already been looking for a way to get to a point for a clear view of the falls.

Reason to go back! Who’s coming?

From there we took the Wartburg/Cato Ridge road to the Hacienda on the Comrades Route near Drummond for a well-deserved drink.

All in all a great day out there – thanks to the pack for coming exploring !

A couple of picks – Elize (Mrs BB) takes a great shot from the pillion so I am looking forward to her posting.

The MoMab stadium arch from the Mgeni river.
20101121_Valley_002.jpg

North of Nanda mountain.
20101121_Valley_003.jpg

20101121_Valley_004.jpg

20101121_Valley_005.jpg

A compulsory stop at a shabeen on the way.
20101121_Valley_006.jpg

20101121_Valley_007.jpg

One of the waterfall guides.
20101121_Valley_008.jpg

From the lip of the falls.
20101121_Valley_009.jpg

Even the dog got vertigo.
20101121_Valley_010.jpg

20101121_Valley_011.jpg

20101121_Valley_012.jpg

Lots more exploring to do up there !!!!

Thanks Gunda - The trip and company was great and the cuppacinos always appreciated.
Pics coming up
DSCF2643Medium.jpg

DSCF2632Medium.jpg

DSCF2642Medium.jpg

DSCF2701Medium.jpg

The tar sections

DSCF2750Medium.jpg

The Waterfall part 1
DSCF2760Medium.jpg

The walk back from the waterfall part 2. See Gunda's pic
DSCF2713Medium.jpg

This looks like a fun slide for the brave.

GundaGunda said:
I bow to the Mountain God of Ngudlintaba, and admit defeat and declare that GundaGunda, and probably no other dual-sport bike rider, will get to the point S29 36.192 E30 50.696 by bike.

Hi Gunds Gunda, that sounds like a challenge I can definitely relate to, it looks possible to get up there from the North -East side.

Will report back in due course.

Otherwise nice trip you guys did and some great pics.

Well done.

Fun in the sun .
Welldone and thanks for the pictures.
Just made me realise how lucky we are just wish there was more time.

S29 36.192 E30 50.696

Attachments

• Valley.jpg
    Valley.jpg
    58.9 KB
Looks like you had a great ride as usual Gunda. Sorry I missed it but was good to see you in Waterfall.

Looked like a stunning ride Ganda, The pic's look awsome makes one relise how lucky you Kwazulu Natal guy's and us Easter Capies are to have rides like this on our doorstep, You are also so right about showing a bit of courtesy to the villages, it makes such a diferance to all involved.

Great ride guys - sorry I missed it - we went snorkeling in Scottburgh with the family .....

JonW said:
Hi Gunds Gunda, that sounds like a challenge I can definitely relate to, it looks possible to get up there from the North -East side.

. . . .

Well done.

GoForit - Dinner for Mr & Mrs if you get up there !!

It is very different on the ground to what it looks like in Google Earth !!

Thanks for the tour GG-great ride

Pity the Badger took fright and went jumping out of planes rather then ride with us.

Not sure if he was nervous of the company ,or just felt a little out "gun-derd."

Better half will post some pics as soon as .

Offside said:
Thanks for the tour GG-great ride
Pity the Badger took fright and went jumping out of planes rather then ride with us.
Not sure if he was nervous of the company ,or just felt a little out "gun-derd."
Better half will post some pics as soon as .

My pleasure - great to have a Yam/BMW ratio of 3:1  >:D

LOL tell that to the sunburn on my neck and shoulders  :mad:  :biggrin:

Hi GG,

Thanks for an awesome ride down into the Valley. The views were amazing ,the company was great and the cuppacinos where a real treat.
I'm going to add a few more photies to your report. Enjoy

Ontop of the hill overlooking Inanda Dam

img_6001.jpg

img_6003.jpg

img_6005.jpg

Three XT's - all legends!!!  :thumleft:
img_6004.jpg

Cuppacino Stop

img_6011.jpg

img_6013.jpg

img_6010.jpg

Having a rest at the compulsory stop.