KZN - Lilani Hot Springs overnighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GG, thanks for going to all the trouble of organising such a pleasant ride. Chicco and Cecile, thanks for the generous send off at Salt Rock. Doing a ride like that with a great bunch of people  makes for a magic weekend. :thumleft:

We were certainly entertained by Chicco and GG with amusing stories and jokes whilst wallowing in the hot springs and quaffing back wine/beer during a humungous storm.  ;D

Come on girls, next time you must be on bikes. Remember " 4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY, 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL!!" :ricky:

Thanks to you all for a wonderful time. Even the rain couldn't put a dampner on it!!!
Looking forward to the next one.

Below are a few photos - some are probably familiar to you already.

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11371.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11373.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11379.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11383.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11387.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11388.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11389.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11390.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11391.jpg

Lilanis Naked Chef .......well almost !  :D

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11393.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11396.jpg

LilaniBikeRide-Jan11406.jpg

wildside said:
. . .
Thanks to you all for a wonderful time. Even the rain couldn't put a damper on it!!!
Looking forward to the next one.
. . .

Yes ! - We will do again ! In winter when it is nice and cold and dry.

. . . and that surreal experience of sitting there in the hot water in the middle of a huge thunderstorm will live, filed away under "pleasant experiences", for the rest of my life  ;D

Great to have K&K along ! 

These pic's where taken in the Umvoti just upstream from the Umvoti Bridge and just below the confluence of the Hlimbitwa and Umvoti rivers and would have been taken in the July school holidays probably about 1977. The pic of my brother Brett on a TY175 is about 10m downstream from where Raymond fell in. The other pic with a Kawa KE100 in the foreground is taken from the otherside of the river looking back to the road. It is quite a nice run to carry on via that road to Glendale sugar mill about 20km downstream and then onto Glendale Heights ( Great Views on the way up to Glendale Heights) and then through to Umhlali. Robin McGregor who wrote Who Owns Whom was once the GM of Glendale Sugar Mill when it was owned by Lonrho.

Attachments

• IMG_0002_1.jpg
    IMG_0002_1.jpg
    106.6 KB
  • IMG_0008_NEW_2.jpg
    IMG_0008_NEW_2.jpg
    117 KB
SHANEB said:
These pic's where taken in the Umvoti just upstream from the Umvoti Bridge and just below the confluence of the Hlimbitwa and Umvoti rivers and would have been taken in the July school holidays probably about 1977. The pic of my brother Brett on a TY175 is about 10m downstream from where Raymond fell in. . . . . . .

I think you could spend a lifetime exploring the valleys of KZN tribal area, and still not ride all the roads !

And it seems the rivers were as snotty back then as they are now  ;D

Thanx

Yes I have ridden around on bikes in that area with my brothers and friends since I was 8 years old and I'm now 50 and you can still go out and find a new place of interest. With regard to the snotty rivers if you are crossing rocks like in my pics if you look at the algae and it is green or black beware that is really slippery if it is red that is not to bad,but if you look really carefully before you cross there are always places where algae does not grow and you can cross with reasonable traction. In those conditions good trials tyres are better than knobbies. When I get a gap I will post more old pics of the area, it is interesting to see that the area has not changed much in the last 30 years or so.