KZN - Ngilanyoni re-visit and Mkomazi Valley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
In October this year I bullied EssBee into coming along on a ride to investigate a KZN mesa with an interesting abutment(?) named Ngilanyoni that I had noticed in Google Earth. We managed to find a track onto the mesa, and ride onto the abutment for a spectacular view.

The objective of today’s ride was to show the mountain to a few more dogs, and in particular Shesha who had trailered his 1200 all the way down from Gauteng for his beach holiday.

There had been some concern about the weather which has been very wet for the last few weeks, but today was perfect – no rain and a nice cloud cover to keep things cool. With the heavy rains over the last fortnight the Mudmonster put in a token appearance, but he is also on holiday and the best he could manage was a few scary moments and one –err- side stand incident of short duration involving a black Tenere.  

The pack was 7 Bikes – lets see if I can remember – lamo, The Badger and Shesha on 1200’s, EssBee on the 990 with Mrs (M.) on the pillion, Navi on the XT660R and MadDog and myself on XT660Z’s.  

Some shots from the ride out.

Lamo and Shesha showing me how to ride the descents.

20101227_Ngil_00.jpg

20101227_Ngil_01.jpg

Some tyre-gobble ruts – line selection kept us on our toes.

20101227_Ngil_02.jpg

This is on a very steep and twisty uphill of about six hairpins. Would have been challenging without the tar.

20101227_Ngil_03.jpg

The twee (and sometimes enkel) spoor onto the mesa. This bit was very snotty and quite tricky and I believe there was a spectacular sideways KTM behind me.

20101227_Ngil_04.jpg

The approach to the abutments “koppie”

20101227_Ngil_05.jpg

Navi and I on the top – It was then that we noticed the pack had split and the rest were delayed a bit with some Katoom manhandling through the mud.

20101227_Ngil_06.jpg

Navi returning after having located the pack.

20101227_Ngil_07.jpg

20101227_Ngil_08.jpg

The pack approaching.

20101227_Ngil_09.jpg

EssBee and M.

20101227_Ngil_10.jpg

The Badger

20101227_Ngil_11.jpg

Lamo

20101227_Ngil_12.jpg

Shesha

20101227_Ngil_13.jpg

The bikes on the hill. This was taken with my Normal camera and the curvature is real.

20101227_Ngil_14.jpg

20101227_Ngil_15.jpg

The road off Ngilanyoni

20101227_Ngil_16.jpg

The pack gather on the main rod – I picked up a bit of foliage with my helmet cam .

20101227_Ngil_17.jpg

The road down the Mkomazi towards Scottburgh.

20101227_Ngil_18.jpg

Lunch and drinks at the Wimpy at Scottburgh went dowm well indeed.

A great day – thanks for coming along guys !!

Once again Gunda, thanks for a lekker ride, not too fast and not too long......  :thumleft: Great company as well.

Good to see the old dogs and meet some new, Shesha and MadDog.

Gunda, you should " LEAF" your helmet cam alone.....hahahahaha :thumleft:

Thanks again for the great cuppacino's.......Too lekker on top of a mountain. :thumleft:

The roads were great, rolling hills, valley's, ruts and some snotty sections. All in all just what the doc ordered.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Good skills there EssBee, it was spectacular watching a two up Katoom going SIDEWAYS down a track, Well Done.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Shesha sure lives up to his name..........Nice one Shesha. :thumleft:

Well done MadDog, good riding with those tyres.

And Lamo.........SHOT for the mud splashes, next ride hey....hahahaha :thumleft: and for the wheelies... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks everyone. See you on the next one.

Some pics with permission from Gunda Gunda

Attachments

• Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 119.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 119.jpg
    106.3 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 003.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 003.jpg
    85.8 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 006.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 006.jpg
    80.7 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 008.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 008.jpg
    88.5 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 124.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 124.jpg
    101.4 KB
Thanks Gunda for a fantastic ride. The scenery was epic and the route was great!  Will definitely be doing that one again.  Don't forget about our GPS lesson.

Some more.............

Attachments

• Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 011.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 011.jpg
    96.2 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 015.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 015.jpg
    46.9 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 021.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 021.jpg
    50.2 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 026.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 026.jpg
    123.4 KB
And some more.........

Attachments

• Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 059.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 059.jpg
    69.3 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 057.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 057.jpg
    61.9 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 050.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 050.jpg
    70.1 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 040.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 040.jpg
    63.1 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 033.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 033.jpg
    51.7 KB
Some of the awesome scenery.

Attachments

• Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 087.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 087.jpg
    109.5 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 098.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 098.jpg
    32.6 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 106.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 106.jpg
    62.2 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 108.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 108.jpg
    54.7 KB
big bike wheelie lessons on wed ..

Just a few more......sorry cant help it.

" Hi , my name is Jeff and I am addicted to riding...." :thumleft: :thumleft: As you said Gunda...

Attachments

• Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 156.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 156.jpg
    64.3 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 144.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 144.jpg
    61.3 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 139.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 139.jpg
    58.3 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 159.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 159.jpg
    56.6 KB
  • Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 162.jpg
    Ganda Ganda 27th dEC 162.jpg
    68.7 KB
Just got up from a three hour nap on the couch trying to watch the cricket match  :sleepy2:

Nice ride everyone and thanks Gunda for organising  :thumleft:

I want to be able to ride my bike like the badger and lamo one day ... on the back wheel going around a corner looking back and taking photos all at the same time  :drif:

I will post some of my photos later  :lamer:

The Badger said:
Just a few more......sorry cant help it.

" Hi , my name is Jeff and I am addicted to riding...." :thumleft: :thumleft: As you said Gunda...

Keep em coming - that pic with the leaves stuck in my helmet cam is classic !!!

Looks like some kind of Christmas tree decoration  ;D - - - and makes me look seriously dof !!

shesha said:
. . . .

Nice ride everyone and thanks Gunda for organising  :thumleft:

I want to be able to ride my bike like the badger and lamo one day ... on the back wheel going around a corner looking back and taking photos all at the same time  :drif:

I will post some of my photos later  :lamer:

My pleasure . . .

Thanks to Gunda for organizing a spectacular ride, I'm now just as addicted as some others ;)

Posted a few pics in the original thread before I saw this one.

Further thanks to all the others for all the advice and help, and the patience while I tried to take a quick nap in the grass alongside the mud :) (bloody tires need updating, choice of 2 brands so far based on what I saw on the ride)

Was great to meet you all and sorry I missed the Wimpy but the braai in Pennington was worth the extra few km's ...

MadDog said:
I'm now just as addicted as some others ;)

Welcome to "Biker's Anonymous" - Good to have you along.

And in my book, when it comes to tyres, none are perfect. I have just replaced D606's in favour of the E-07's but there were a few places yesterday when I missed them.

But for a ride like yesterday I think a Tenere and a set of E07's are about as perfect a bike/tyre combination as you can get. 

Goodness GG you're up earlier than me... :mwink:

Thanks GG for initiating this lovely ride. Thanks to all the other Dawgs for joining....Maddog, Shesha, was good meeting you guyz! :biggrin: We are so fortunate to have such amazing riding soooo close to home!!!!

Once again, herewith my very meagre selection of pics....
1) - our first "smoke break"
2) Lamo arriving on that spectactular mesa
3) The Badger fiddling with lid...and our two boneys in the background.

ps apologies for breaking up the pack with my getting a tad "side-tracked" on that little snotty section....after Michelle got off she said one hardly even walk on the stuff... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

• Dec 27 #1.JPG
    Dec 27 #1.JPG
    93 KB
  • Dec 27 #2.JPG
    Dec 27 #2.JPG
    107.7 KB
  • Dec 27 #3.JPG
    Dec 27 #3.JPG
    125.7 KB
EssBee said:
. . .

ps apologies for breaking up the pack with my getting a tad "side-tracked" on that little snotty section....after Michelle got off she said one hardly even walk on the stuff... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice to have you both along for the re-visit.

Actually the apology should be from us in the front. I blame the anthills - I was watching for them so intently that I did not notice we had left you guys behind in the snotty stuff.

Lucky you knew the way or there would have been dogs wandering all over Ngilanyoni all morning  :ricky: 

Look how brown it was in Oct.!!!!!

Attachments

• dest #3 the flat top.jpg
    dest #3 the flat top.jpg
    127.4 KB
EssBee said:
Look how brown it was in Oct.!!!!!

Yup - and severely over grazed.

And I found two things missing from my bike when I got home. First is the numberplate. That's a bit of a nuisance as it is a Gauteng one and may be difficult to get one down here. The other is the handlebar end - the doughnut shaped thing and the centre screw that hold the Barkbuster to the end of the bar. This may be a problem as it is the one on the right - throttle side.