KZN Poker run - 27 Feb '11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Today was a different kind of ride, but really enjoyable.

It was different in that it was almost all tar, big, and for a charitable cause. I am not sure exactly how many bikes there were, although I would guess somewhere around sixty, and at a minimum entry fee of R100 per person, I would imagine that the ride collected not far short of R10k for the two charities – the Highway Hospice and the SPCA.

I believe these poker runs are quite common in the cruiser and superbike world, but this is the first one I have ever heard of.

So how did it work?

We met at BMW Umhlanga, where we registered and drew our first card. The cards were stamped with the dealer stamp, and we had to mark our names on the card to stop card trading amongst ourselves. We then had to make our own groups, and collect our remaining four cards at, Inchanga Hotel (on the comrades route near halfway), The Travellers Rest Hotel in New Hanover, the microlite airfield in Balito, and the last card at the finish at Hooters back in Umhlanga. At the finish the hands were judged as per five-card poker to determine the winners.

MadDog and I had plotted alternative routes for legs 1 & 2 to take in a bit more scenery than simply slabbing it along the freeways. At the start we recruited some like minded folk – two 1200GSs and a 1150 and traveled along with them the whole trip of just under 300Km

The route we took was as planned on:-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=65021.0  

The seemed to be a joint effort between BMW Umhlanga and the BMW club, and as a result the pack was about 70% Beemers, and strangely only about ten of the bikes seemed to be roadies, with GSs by far the dominant models.

A few weeks ago I posted a question asking where all the F800Gss are. I know the answer – they are all out there on Beemer club runs on the tar !! :pot:

In fact there were three F800s at the start who were keen to join us on our scenic route, but when they discovered that we had to ride 6Km of easy gravel they politely declined.   ???

Did I win a prize? Hrumph ! My hand was a useless mix of number cards and the ace of diamonds.

What I did learn today is that a social ride on tar can be great fun, and I also learned that the Tenere 660 is quite capable out there with the big guys on the open road.

A couple of pics – not many photo ops on this ride.

The road down to Nagle Dam.

20110227_KznPokerRun_000.jpg

The Mgeni bridge below Nagle dam.

20110227_KznPokerRun_001.jpg

The twisties on the way up to Bruin’s Hill.

20110227_KznPokerRun_002.jpg

20110227_KznPokerRun_003.jpg

Cane country near Bruin’s Hill

20110227_KznPokerRun_004.jpg

Approaching New Hanover.

20110227_KznPokerRun_005.jpg

Me pointing out the way to the prison to my mates!

20110227_KznPokerRun_006.jpg

Gathering for breakfast at the Travellers Rest in New Hanover.  Lovely place and I have only ever just ridden past the town. Next time I will stop again!

20110227_KznPokerRun_007.jpg

One of the many examples of German influence in the area’s architecture.  

20110227_KznPokerRun_008.jpg

The R614 on the way back to the coast. Nice road. Great surface and few potholes.

20110227_KznPokerRun_009.jpg

20110227_KznPokerRun_010.jpg

A bit of gravel near the microlite landing strip near Balito.

20110227_KznPokerRun_011.jpg

madDog and I drawing our useless fourth cards.

20110227_KznPokerRun_012.jpg

20110227_KznPokerRun_013.jpg

The bikes start to gather at Hooters in Umhlanga.

20110227_KznPokerRun_014.jpg

Our waitress was gorgeous.

20110227_KznPokerRun_015.jpg

Prize giving and formalities.

20110227_KznPokerRun_016.jpg

Nice RR GG.

Had a great time out there today, especially enjoyed the last section from Ballito back to Umhlanga, opened the Tenere up a bit and managed to stay between the 2 1200 GS's albeit at 170kmph  :eek:

Nice pics too GG, thanks for the great routes and thanks to the guys who joined us on the scenic route.

MadDog said:
. . 

Nice pics too GG, thanks for the great routes and thanks to the guys who joined us on the scenic route.

No problem.

And another useful lesson was how effortless the ride was for me. We got to hooters with just under 300Km ridden and just after 13:00 and my butt and old body felt good for at least another 200Km.

I don't remember once feeling sore or tired.

I think the trick for an easy day like yesterday is to start early, and then take good stops of at least a half-hour at 70Km intervals.

And have a Tenere with it's magic saddle.

Nice one guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

So much for the club riders on gravel........ :deal:

The Badger said:
Nice one guys. Glad you enjoyed it.
So much for the club riders on gravel........ :deal:

There was talk about them organizing another poker run, but mainly on gravel.

Roy asked me if I would help him with some tracks in the Valley that he would like to pre ride with that in mind - I said I was happy to help.

I hope it will not just be for the BMW club.

Is it my imagination, or are "single make" bash's and rides losing favour? Personally I love to see a mix of makes and models on all rides and at all events and festivals

Gunda
If there are rides again please post it on WD, we don't have runs like this in the Newcastle area. Lukily Maddog posted this run otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. I quite enjoyrd the trip evan though I didn't know the route or area I joined up with a group at Inchange and enjoyed it a lot. We left Inchanga as you guys arrived.

Own the road said:
Gunda
If there are rides again please post it on WD, we don't have runs like this in the Newcastle area. Lukily Maddog posted this run otherwise I wouldn't have known about it. . . . .

I am not sure how info on this ride was put out there. I think MadDog heard about it through friends at the BMW club, and the info was posted on their website.

At the risk of getting into trouble, KZN is still quite Clique-ish when it comes to riding, but it's a huge lot better than it was when I first started riding down here.

There was the BMW club, the thumper club, and small groups of guys who would ride together, and the equivalent of the "planning" threads were "by invite" SMSs sent at 9:00pm Saturday evening.

To a certain extent it is still like that, but it is great to see new KZNers registering on the forum.

As a multi-habitat Sefrican one of the problems I had adjusting to KZN culture is that it is often "un-cool" in KZN to plan too deeply, and life must be spontaneous and spur-of-the moment - I think it comes from the "surf's up, lets go" world !    :pot:

Another problem is that there is a huge depth of riding skill down here, and I fully understand that many of the experienced guys don't like riding with slower or less capable guys (like me) in their groups. 

But it's changing - it just takes time, and good folk to keep posting on the planning threads

Pistol said:
Hey Gunda, cannot see the hooters in the pic??? :mwink:

Hey, behave yourself !! My daughter works there, so lets leave the hooters out of the photos  :eek: stick to the menu!!!  :D