Lamda sensor/Free flow exhaust/running lean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
  • I've been trying to get an answer for this one. The Lamda sensor (any other?) adjusts the fuel air mixture by measuring (I think) the oxygen content of the exhaust gasses. So then, should the fuel/air mixture become more lean or rich for some reason the Lamda sensor picks that up and adjust the fuel/air mixture accordingly.

I know that these bike are purposefully tuned to run lean due to emission standards in Europe. The Lamda sensor won't sort that out and therefore I believe getting a booster plug/accelerator module is needed. But..these plug and play solutions only works when you twist the pig's ear NOT when cruising at constant velocity.

When will the Lamda sensor have to adjust the fuel/air mixture?
    • high above sea level/high veld - little oxygen, less fuel
    • Down at the coast - more oxygen, more fuel
    • When you make the exhaust system free flowing - more oxygen, more fuel

What it boils down to is: does the Lamda sensor sort out the fuel/air mixture as it should in the above mentioned conditions? For example I've heard before that the boxer engine tends to run warmer when it's got a free flow exhaust system which would mean that the engine is running lean which would mean that the Lamda sensor is not doing it's job - which is why I post this thread. Are there dogs than can confirm boxer engines running warm when down at the coast or when you've got a free flow exhaust system fitted?