• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Laser jammers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanGPS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I posted this on BMW forum by request and thought it good to be posted here as well.
Laser Jamming

A couple of years ago, our friendly traffic police used a couple of methods to measure your speed and then issue you a fine if you were speeding. One of these methods was by means of Radar. This device made use of the Doppler Effect (variation of the frequency when beaming on a moving object) It was very inaccurate and not easy to use.
The Radar was replaced about 5 years ago with a Laser. This still operates almost the same however it is simple to use and VERY accurate. Your chance of defending a ticket in court is almost zero. There is almost zero chance for error.
This device can be used to trap from the front or rear of a vehicle and emits a laser beam (encoded) towards your vehicle. Even the windscreen can cause reflections, but the body, number plate or headlights are the number one target. This device then receives the reflected infrared and calculates your speed. If you were speeding it captures a digital image of your vehicle so that a fine can be issued to you. This all happens in less than half a second. That is why laser detectors don?t work. If you can brake in half a second from 80 to 60 then please call me, as I promise you we will never ever have to work again but just teach people how to brake.
The reason why spot fines are very seldom issued is because half the traffic cops can?t read or write and to cut out the ?squashing? of fines and corruption the photos are stored on the camera and only the ?depot? can download and delete them. The photo technology is such that there is no longer a flash required as it use Infra red to illuminate your number plate. Therefore the spray-on number plate reflective spray no longer works either. And by just changing the filter they can still read your number, spray or no spray.
By having a jippo number plate (numbers on it not so fresh , covered in mud and blood, flip up plates, ext) will save you maybe a couple of fines. But the day when they use the number recognition camera you will find yourself going to court after been locked up till the next Monday. This system reads your plates as you approach and then tells the officer in the ?reading? vehicle what color vehicle it should be, VIN number (chassis number) and if any outstanding fines. Depends on the fines or the wrong number or whatever they don?t like, they pull you over and arrest you on the spot. I have seen this in action in Frans Conradie and saw at least 15 people arrested and taken away by bus to court for sentencing while another friendly policeman drives your vehicle to the safe keeping depot.
Driving without a plate is a R500, 00 fine however should you be in an accident or your bike gets stolen the insurance will ask some questions. I personally think my bike looks naked without a number plate.
So how do we counter for this? Laser jammer. There are jammers, and there are jammers.
I myself tested every make that money can buy and found that the best units are the ones that uses a laser-diode to fight the laser gun. At 400m (the max distance that they are allowed to catch you) most jammers did in fact jam the gun. Some of them registered a jamming code on the gun, while others did not switch off and kept on jamming. If the intelligence (modulation) is not scrambling the lasers guns code, then a jamming code is displayed to out friendly traffic officer. If it stays on, the friendly traffic officer will also know that there is something fishy cooking.
I use only true laser-diode types and they jam for 5 to seven seconds and then switch of for about one minute before resetting to normal mode. The problem with the LED types is at 50 m, when the angle and the beam strength is simply not enough to jam the gun. Most of these cheaper units are sold and advertised in major motoring magazines (if fact they even sell radar detectors and laser detectors---what a joke)
These units are tricky to install and it is a semi permanent installation. It takes some time to remove and be re-installed to another vehicle/bike. I have one installed for front and one for rear and it does not interfere with the Canbus on the BMW. It only comes on with ignition and there is a switch to switch the unit off. The Unit gives audible warning and a green LED that change from green to red when jamming.
I have installed more than 400 of these units and have a very happy customer base. I believe it to be about 95% effective against laser guns, where the cheaper units are about 40% effective and with some of these you don?t even have to bother installing the rear unit as it simply does not work. With the units I recommend the front and rear are the same?
I used to install them only on the rear of motorcycles however recently when coming from an outing some clients were caught from the front and issued spot fines. (I believe they started employing intellectuals and I recently learned that the friendly traffic cop in Beaufort West could even pronounce ?regsverydeling? to a jippo number plate fellow rider---I mailed them to ask how long he practiced it, needles to say I did not get a reply)
The sad news is that there are only limited numbers of these jammers available and I believe it will soon be declared illegal (the 5 to 7 second activity will save the day)
The demerit points system will soon be reality and that means that if your points are finished you will have to re-apply after a 6 month absence from behind the wheel/handlebars.
Dealing in these also opens the doors to some inside information and there is a possibility that the speed limit will soon be lowered, in order to kill fewer pedestrians. I am so glad we live in the Country. Kings rule kingdoms.
Useful links: https://www.speedtraps.co.za/info-page.php