Lesotho Quick Cold Fast Blast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We turned off the A1 onto an off-road track that took us winding through some village areas. It seems the further off the main routes you get the more happy the locals are to see you. Everyone waving and smiling from young to old. Even the Teenage boys.

After a few KMS we stopped to re-group and Jules told me my Topbox was waving at him more than usual. Quick wiggle showed the tail section moving – not good! Sub frame broken on Both sides. We only had a few KMS to go to get to Molumong so we decided to take it slowly and have a look at plan when we got there.

1002615800x600.jpg

Pistol was whining again, pointed out that we had passed a few shabeens on route without stopping – gees this Man can just sense beer.  We didn’t know for sure that our overnight destination could provide beer and food, but that did not concern us – we would make a plan (promise).

1002616800x600.jpg

And Briggsy had a permanent grin cause he was just a happy bunny, couldn’t care about Pistols no beers for a while or broken sub frames (well until later) or the dust that Jules was making – he was just loving being out there in the mountains enjoying what the ride threw at him (Oh and did I mention on road tyres???)

1002618800x600.jpg

So now I have full faith in the GPS routing capability but quietly thinking to myself Fok waar vat jy my nou!! When it made us do a hairpin down what looked like nowhere ever used little track  - this was supposed to be taking us to our “lodge”. My concern didn’t last for more than 200 meters as there up ahead appeared the stone buildings I recognised from my Googling!

We Arrive at Molumong
1002619800x600.jpg

I Was truley in  my element during this "Black Mountain" Section and the smaller the tracks became the bigger the smile!

Didnt take too many pictures

Waiting for the regroup
Sani27.JPG

NIKS!!!
Sani28.JPG

Subframes!
Sani37.JPG

Pistols Little Spin on the Ice

[flash=425,344]https://www.youtube.com/v/nW3NMTjaR9c[/flash]

As we arrived at Molumong, we saw a large group of Pony Trekkers and wondered if there would be any accommodation available for us. After only a few minutes, we saw them heading off up towards the mountains, this now just as the sun is getting ready to set!  Rather them than us but I’m sure its a great experience.

1002620800x600.jpg

First thing we did was to have a look around. This may have been a mission station originally as there are quite a few separate stone buildings, including the house we stayed in, a large Barn type building that was now a Chinese owned / run shop and some other store rooms, old workshops etc.

This shop had everything, Pistol even found that it had Motor bike batteries!

1002623800x600.jpg

1002625800x600.jpg

After our Look around, we went back to the bikes to grab our stuff and have a look at my broken sub frame. Just out of curiosity Briggsy happened to check his and found his too was broken on the right side.

Then he spotted a nice front rim smiley. And then he opened his Top box to find his Water container had leaked and wet some clothes including the jersey.

1002628800x600.jpg

So this is him looking a little dejected. 

1002627800x600.jpg

We quickly asked if our hosts had beer and they said no but they can organise – What kind would we like (a choice of all the brands)? We had to step in while Pistol was trying to arrange 2 cases (quarts). Next we asked if they could arrange food – yes was the answer!

It very quickly became evident that we had found a marvellous overnighter.

1002632800x600.jpg

1002634800x600.jpg

1002636800x600.jpg

1002639800x600.jpg

15 Minutes later, our host was back with the beers. Perfect timing to allows us sip our beers while standing quietly watching the onset of dusk.

1002643800x600.jpg

1002642800x600.jpg

A quick move to the warmth of the house to chat about the great days riding.

1002645800x600.jpg

1002646800x600.jpg

1002653800x600.jpg

1002654800x600.jpg

Our Hosts, Rebecca chief cook, the guy in the middle I forget his name was the organiser and Sing Sing who was deaf. Sing Sing sorted our fire and communicated with gestures and light touches to the arms and hands to get his message across.

1002656800x600.jpg

Busy in the kitchen sorting our meal.

1002657800x600.jpg

1002658800x600.jpg

Dinner by Candle Light – not very romantic with 4 WDs but definitely good company and conversation.

1002662800x600.jpg

When the meal arrived it was absolutely delicious. Simple local cooking, no frills, pap, chicken, cabbage base and chips. On the side was baked beans and tinned peas.

1002664800x600.jpg

1002671800x600.jpg

Then it was more conversation / beers and off to sleep.

1002680800x600.jpg

I remember thinking "Where the hell is Mike taking us" as the road turned into a rough little path way down the mountain, We stop at this very rustic looking building and I'm like "OK this is interesting!"

What an amazing find this spot was Clean Cozy and with very friendly people and a GREAT atmosphere, I could spend a week there just chilling!

Sani33.JPG

The SunRoom / lounge with Fire Place
Sani30.JPG

The big bedroom (there were a few other smaller rooms)
The Beds were brand new as was the linen and pillows, I slept very well! After the great meal and
long day of ridding we hit the hay early!
Sani29.JPG

Pistol is Happy!
Sani34.JPG

Sani36.JPG

Sani38.JPG

Sani42.JPG

Sani43.JPG

Firstly, thanks to ThinkMike, Jules and Pistol for the awesome company and ride. ThinkMike really went to town with the route which surprised all of us.

I didn’t have a camera, so no pics from me.

Only once we got to the Sani border post did my brain start to thaw out from the 5am start. I only realised this when we headed up towards Sani and I thought we were in the middle of the Roof of Africa race when ThinkMike and Jules disappeared in a huge cloud of dust, despite our best efforts to keep up. Even the lure of the beers on Sani top couldn’t help Pistol and I keep up.

Luckily Jules’s toolbox came loose and we were able to catchup and have a small breather.

After the cold beers and some good fun at Sani top, we up to Black Mountain and beyond.

In the back of my mind, always thinking that ThinkMike had planned a “SHORTCUT” on a 4x4 track. Ummmm, I know how those turn out… Wondering if we would get there before nightfall.

As it turned out, it was all in my head and apart from a very short rocky section, it was no problem.

I am still wondering why Pistol was the first one to go to bed when we quite clearly had some more beers left over??? Did it have anything to do with him sleeping in that cot the night before???

Sunday Morning we awoke to an absolutely still serene day a little before sunrise. We stood quietly taking it all in.

1002689800x600.jpg

1002690800x600.jpg

1002691800x600.jpg

As Jules mentioned earlier the accommodation was top notch and we slept well in very comfortable beds. On each bed was a single thin duvet and one proper thick Basotho blanket. (Reminder to self – I must buy a few).

Thumbs up from all of us.
Accommodation R135 pp
Dinner R65

1002694800x600.jpg

It was nearly time to leave – the sun was rising so we started  and idled our bikes, mainly to get the heated grips nice toasty – Jules had confirmed that his Temp gauge read -1 & 0 deg.

1002695800x600.jpg

1002697800x600.jpg

We gingerly eased up the track from Molumong and headed for the A3 to head towards Mokhotlong stopping once or twice to get some pics.

Once on the A3, looking down at Molumong.

1002698800x600.jpg

1002700800x600.jpg

1002705800x600.jpg

1002701800x600.jpg

1002702800x600.jpg

1002703800x600.jpg

1002705800x600.jpg

As we hit the Tar near Mokhotlong we encountered the first of many Stop / Go points. The good news is that they are busy re-surfacing this whole section. The bad news is that for miles and miles the surface is covered in stone pebbles so we had to tiptoe along the beautiful undulation twisties.

1002706800x600.jpg

1002707800x600.jpg

Once we were through the road works, we headed out of the valley, where the road was back to the poor unattended surface with bits of the original tar sticking up from the roughly graded road.

At this stage we were hungry and a little cold and wanted to get to Oxbow for breakfast so we didn’t stop for long.

1002709800x600.jpg

1002712800x600.jpg

The valley we had come from.
1002713800x600.jpg

We had a quick obligatory stop at Tlaeeng pass which is marketed as the highest pass in Southern Africa at 3255 m. Interesting because a few KMs later we climbed to 3290 M on the same road – (maybe its the definition of a pass that makes Tlaeeng the highest??)

1002714800x600.jpg

1002716800x600.jpg

One more brief stop to take a pic of the people skiing at Afri-Ski.

1002718800x600.jpg

Shortly after this the road surface becomes great and we made the most of the winding road down into the Oxbow valley.

When we arrived is was very quiet, no sign of activity, and only one visitors car left in the residential parking. I asked if they could make us breakfast and evidently breakfast is until 10am and it was now close to 10.30, but as everywhere in Lesotho they made a plan, rallied up the kitchen staff and cooked us a breakfast of beacon, eggs, sausage, toast, tomato etc.

Waiting for our breakfast. At Oxbow.

1002720800x600.jpg

1002721800x600.jpg

After Breakfast we headed down Moteng Pass on our way to Caledonspoort post. If you haven’t  ridden this pass it’s a must. Packed with switchback corners, it drops 1000 meters on a brilliant smooth surface. If you descend the pass, there are sections where you can see if there is any traffic for kms ahead. We had an absolute blast on the way down. Sorry for no pics but it was only once at the bottom that we even thought of taking pics and by then it was too late.

Basically our Lesotho experience was now over and we trickled calmly to Calendonspoort, across the border, filled up at Fouriesburg and didn’t stop till we hit home!

Thanks Briggsy, Pistol and Jules – great fun weekend – Great bunch of guys!!

Oh and I believe Swaziland is next!!!

Getting up early on Sunday we were all amazed at the fact that although it was 0 degrees none of us was freezing

The wonderful fresh and crisp morning with the chorus of roosters waking the valley was great feast for the senses!

We packed our things, strapped Mike's top box down with some straps and set off to Oxbow.

Sani39.JPG

Sani38.JPG

Sani41.JPG

Sani45.JPG

I was enjoying every minute of the ride and even the few stop and waits were all just another facet of the trip, We were all smiles for miles!
Sani47.JPG

Sani48.JPG

I did wonder how far the Red Rock Rabbit would get up the ski slope and how much trouble I would be in for trying  ;D
Sani52.JPG

The tar twisties after Oxbow were fantastic and I had a blast pushing my tyres to their limits, Once again I was soo impressed with the Tenere and the Dunlop's

Sani53.JPG

Sani54.JPG

The tar trip home from Foriesburg although a long one went by quickly, We rode at a happy pace of 140 to 150 with no problems.

Thanks again to my fellow travelers for a truly fantastic weekend, I cant wait for the next one!

Jules

Sorry no pics from me, need all my concentration to keep up with these guys!!!! Down that last pass on the way to Caledonspoort, I drove like an old granny just taking in all the sights, and swithbacks - would like to do that again!!!

One thing that I was entertained with - always travelling at the back - was at every opportunity, both Mike and Briggsy would pop those two heavy beasts onto the back wheel, and carry on happily down the road for a couple of 100m - fookin impressive :thumleft: Jules was also itching to give it a try, and I think a few more km an the clock you will give it a go >:D

Thanks again for letting me tag along :thumleft:

great ride report guys, makes me itch to get going on my planned ride via sani pass!!!  :ricky:

I look forward to your swazi ride

Unfortunately and I mean unfortunately I was 1 of the 8 original travellers due to make this trip. Let me explain why I say unfortunately:

Reading this trip report (after having to decline at the last moment due to family reasons) is like parading a troop of buxom blond beltas in front of Tiger Woods and asking him NOT to take his 'putter' out or like offering a pile of neatly layed out cocain lines on a silver tray to an addict.

I am shaking in frustration at this marvelous trip. Well done lads.

Swazi, youre in my sights....

Hey Eggs,

To be honest, this was all a farce so you didn't miss anything!!!! :biggrin:.  We really had a torrid time,  :-[ :'( >:D wishing we were rather home doing nothing, forcing smiles for pics - I mean we had ride passes and cross rocks and these bloody winding undulating roads!! you know what a pain they can be when all you want is a nice flat straight Tar road!! And then having to put up with each others company and drink beers - Bugga

So yes you didn't miss a thing!!!!  ;D So we will just have to force ourselves to unwillingly do Sawzi!!! and have no fun like this one :thumleft: