Lesotho - the ride that broke me (and my bike...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is difficult to strike a balance between a commuter bike and one good for off road.
Some years ago I bought a new BMW XChallenge (they had just come out). At the same time I had some extra money and bought a good KDX200 for my son. Then the local BMW garage had a weekend outride for riders who wanted to ride like Bornman, al la Road of Bones style. It was funny to see. I rolled up on my XChallenge, thinking I was the best thing, others had GS1200's or the off-road hot version, I forget the model name. The value of bikes at the weekend was more than R1m. The chief BMW sales person himself arrived on a KTM125.  :imaposer: He had the decency to look embarrassed.
The instructor gave us our money's worth and took us over real tough terrain, through rivers and up steep hills with no path covered with huge rocks. My son had fun on his 109kg KDX200, and The BMW sales chap loved it on his 92kg KTM, he  danced up the hills, but the rest of us were terrified and sweated, worrying about our sumps and falling off. It took me sometime to twig the lighter the bike the better it is for off road stuff, actually about 5 years (I'm a slow learner ;D)

Great ride report. I am still a noob and will not attempt this until I have done a couple of courses.

Sent from my GT-N8000

Kabous GS said:
Als en als was dit n great trip. Wat lekkerder as om met buddies bike te ry, paar biere te deel en die war stories te vertel.

Dis waaroor die lewe gaan. 

Welkom in die hok  :thumleft:

Great RR Mickey Theunissen  8) 

Laat my terugdink aan die dag toe ek Sani op is en 3 maal geval het want (1) Ek en momentum het mekaar nie ontmoet nie (2) Ek was onfiks.

Weereens - die mense saam wie jy dit aanpak maak n moerse verskil. Johan iwas bietjie ouer as ons, maar soos Kobus (tipiese ouditeur) kon ek dit nie met iemand anders imagine nie. Kobus was baie fikser as ons, en het dit gewys op die ou einde!

Mickey Theunissen said:
Weereens - die mense saam wie jy dit aanpak maak n moerse verskil. Johan iwas bietjie ouer as ons, maar soos Kobus (tipiese ouditeur) kon ek dit nie met iemand anders imagine nie. Kobus was baie fikser as ons, en het dit gewys op die ou einde!

Nie mal oor jou thread se naam nie. Nerens klink jy "broken" nie. Bietjie ge-damage en moeg miskien  O0
Jy skryf n great RR  :thumleft:

subie said:
Mickey Theunissen said:

Nie mal oor jou thread se naam nie. Nerens klink jy "broken" nie. Bietjie ge-damage en moeg miskien  O0
Jy skryf n great RR  :thumleft:

Subie - my fiets was nog altyd in n pristine kondisie. Nie n krappie op nie. Nou is my fiets in sy moer in en my self-confidence ook. (Dan praat ek nie eens oor my "pel" se beskrywing nie!)

Mens kan altyd baie verskonings soek, maar op daardie oomblik, soos ek heel in die begin gesê het, het ek gevoel soos ek geskryf het.
Fiksheid is n groog ding. Maar groter, is jou geselskap. Kobus het baie keer op sy tande moes kners met my...

Riding bike, in a way is like playing golf or canoeing or many other sports - you have to choose your company carefully to be able to all enjoy it fully. It is frustrating to do most of these sports with people on different skill levels. What is easy and comfortable for one rider is too much and frustrating for the next. It is important to be honest about your abilities especially when doing the more daring stuff. The more you fall the more tired you get and the worst you ride. This could make the challenge impossible and damage your self confidence to the point that you stop and sell your bike. Take one step at a time and gradually learn the skills and the confidence and enjoyment will grow.

I believe one need to stick to some basic rules:
1. Plan your ride well, not to be on the bike for more than 5-6 hours/day.
2. Rest often +/- every hour or 100km's and more often in technical areas.
3. Do not ride at night.
4. Keep your bike as light as possible - leave all the fancy add-ons at home.

RD said:
Riding bike, in a way is like playing golf or canoeing or many other sports - you have to choose your company carefully to be able to all enjoy it fully. It is frustrating to do most of these sports with people on different skill levels. What is easy and comfortable for one rider is too much and frustrating for the next. It is important to be honest about your abilities especially when doing the more daring stuff. The more you fall the more tired you get and the worst you ride. This could make the challenge impossible and damage your self confidence to the point that you stop and sell your bike. Take one step at a time and gradually learn the skills and the confidence and enjoyment will grow.

3. Do not ride at night.

Now here is some good advice, over and above what was already mentioned. 

To highlight some:

The human factor is a huge factor on your trip. 
Planning is so essential, especially if you explore the unknown, here is so many knowledge on this forum that can give good advice on for example the terrain, time it will take you to travel enc.

@MT, moennie dat die ride jou so terugsit dat jy nie weer iets "gewaagd" wil aanpak nie.  Laat dit eerder vir jou 'n les wees om volgende keer dinge net beter aan te pak.  Leer uit jou foute (as daar in jou oe was) en maak 'n sukses van jou volgende trip.

Travel safe and enjoy.  :thumleft: 

Vis Arend said:
RD said:

3. Do not ride at night.

To highlight some:

Planning is so essential, especially if you explore the unknown, here is so many knowledge on this forum that can give good advice on for example the terrain, time it will take you to travel enc.

@MT, moennie dat die ride jou so terugsit dat jy nie weer iets "gewaagd" wil aanpak nie.  Laat dit eerder vir jou 'n les wees om volgende keer dinge net beter aan te pak.  Leer uit jou foute (as daar in jou oe was) en maak 'n sukses van jou volgende trip.

Travel safe and enjoy.   :thumleft: 

+1 Visarend

Great RR!!  :thumleft: :drif: Ek het hom baie geniet!!

Mickey Theunissen said:
Vis Arend said:
RD said:

3. Do not ride at night.

To highlight some:

Travel safe and enjoy.   :thumleft: 

+1 Visarend

Goed gese Vis Arend  :thumleft:

And Mickey - go and do an off-road course at ADA or Kings or BMW - the confidence that they create will inspire you - you will be able to analyse what worked and what didn't on your trip, and will prepare you for many more.

Great RR and I am inspired to try the route because of it.

Thanks you!

RD said:

3. Do not ride at night.

Good points!  :thumleft:

Mickey jou ou bogger! Na al die jare sien ek weer jou gevreet,....... op n bike forum. Thabo het vir my gese jy hang hier uit. As ek so kyk chow jy te veel vis daar onder ini Kaap - lank vergete is die mieliekos van Bloemies. Die hare, sien ek, is steeds MIA.

Lekker RR kerel  :deal:

macjohnw said:
Mickey jou ou bogger! Na al die jare sien ek weer jou gevreet,....... op n bike forum. Thabo het vir my gese jy hang hier uit. As ek so kyk chow jy te veel vis daar onder ini Kaap - lank vergete is die mieliekos van Bloemies. Die hare, sien ek, is steeds MIA.

Lekker RR kerel  :deal:

Hehehe!  Nee jong - dis al die skaaptjoppies wat ons uit Karoo invoer!

MT - A fantastic RR, with some of the best photos I've ever seen & completely honest! You truly are a great photographer.

I have to agree with all of the points raised in the latter part of this thread though wrt planning, fitness, etc. & if you're honest with yourself, you do too.

Thanks for a great report :thumleft:

RD said:

3. Do not ride at night.

Like this post a lot. :thumleft:
For me (what you are saying here ) one of the golden rules of adventure riding  . Is never let anybody push or drag you out of your safety zone on an adventure ride. Ride your own ride no matter what speed the other oke's are doing,you will get there also . Slower riders never spoilled an adventure trip but a crash with injury and damage quickly sinks a nice ride for everybody.  
:ricky:

subie said:
Like this post a lot. :thumleft:
For me (what you are saying here ) one of the golden rules of adventure riding  . Is never let anybody push or drag you out of your safety zone on an adventure ride. Ride your own ride no matter what speed the other oke's are doing,you will get there also . Slower riders never spoilled an adventure trip but a crash with injury and damage quickly sinks a nice ride. 
:ricky:

+1  :thumleft: